The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

"Tack ska du ha!"

Could this society be more than it is?

watergarden
post 5.Dec.2018, 09:28 AM
Post #1

What kind of social norms are these?

What's up with "Tack ska du ha!" phrase?
People use it everyday here and it makes me wanna throw up. It literally means "You'll get a thanks!"

Not to mention "Tack själv!" as a response to a "Thanks!". It would mean "Thank yourself!" Why would I thank myself, I'm thanking you you piece of impolite crap.

The other day in the line for a coffee, I noticed that everyone uses "Jag vill ha..." or "Jag vill att du..." hello shit, who cares what you want? Why would anyone do something for you? Ask politely for your choice, don't throw your wishes in another person's face.
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 5.Dec.2018, 10:07 AM
Post #2

You have to consider that just like the local running it's news articles through Google translate, direct translation word for word does not necessarily give you the real corresponding phrase in another language or how it's used. It's also as much about context and tone. Which of course applies in any language.

Thank you too, thanks for your help too etc.. are all long winded versions if tack själv

I would like, I shall have, can I have, I want, can you give me, I'll take one of, is it possible to ... countless English phrases all with subtle differences in context and politeness.

Swedish compared to English has less working words or vocabulary, sometimes it's a bonus other times a disadvantage.

If you are getting all worked up over this find yourself a nice cafe and order yourself a coffee and cake. Relax.

Tack själv smile.gif
+
Bsmith
post 5.Dec.2018, 11:02 AM
Post #3

Ta det lungt, bro. It's just a phrase. Kinda like the ubiquitous "have a nice day." Is that a command? You must have a nice day. Or what, the grammar nazis will tp your house.

Have a nice day. smile.gif
+
TheExpatEagle
post 5.Dec.2018, 10:06 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (watergarden @ 5.Dec.2018, 09:28 AM) *
What kind of social norms are these? What's up with "Tack ska du ha!" phrase?People use it everyday here and it makes me wanna throw up. It literally means & ... (show full quote)

You obviously don't understand Swedish yet because "tack ska du har" does not literally mean what you say it literally means. The phrase is actually "en tack ska du har" (though most people drop the en) which means "a thank you, you shall have" - literally!

Tack själv means "thank you yourself" but not in the way you interpret it. We say that in England, it is returning the thank you.

You really need to pull that stick out your back side if you want to get on here. You are a guest in another country with another culture. Trying to directly translate things doesn't work. Learn the language from scratch not by trying to do literal translations.

Trust me, if you want to enjoy life in Sweden lose the attitude.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 5.Dec.2018, 11:06 PM
Post #5

Well said!!!

Ahh, err..."Spot on"!!! laugh.gif
+
Bsmith
post 5.Dec.2018, 11:45 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (TheExpatEagle @ 5.Dec.2018, 10:06 PM) *
You obviously don't understand Swedish yet because "tack ska du har" does not literally mean what you say it literally means. The phrase is actually "en tac ... (show full quote)

I could not have said it better.
+
watergarden
post 6.Dec.2018, 10:11 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (TheExpatEagle @ 5.Dec.2018, 10:06 PM) *
You obviously don't understand Swedish yet because "tack ska du har" does not literally mean what you say it literally means. The phrase is actually "en tac ... (show full quote)

It's "Tack ska du HA", not "HAR". After "ska" which is an auxiliary verb comes infinitive form "att ha".

Learn the grammar and get the point. It's them who sound entitled and with the stick up into their a**es with: " I want you to do that...", "You shall get a thanks!" phrases etc.

If you want to enjoy any kind of life, have your own personality at least.
+
Bsmith
post 6.Dec.2018, 10:55 AM
Post #8

You definitely have a personality. Not a good one.
+
watergarden
post 6.Dec.2018, 11:16 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 6.Dec.2018, 10:55 AM) *
You definitely have a personality. Not a good one.

Oh, and yours is I guess fine? Why? Because you desperately integrated yourself in this hypocrite society where nobody has an actual opinion and the answer to everything is "bra"?

F*ck ska du ha! smile.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Dec.2018, 01:49 PM
Post #10

Hey...We got another one!!!
+
Martian
post 6.Dec.2018, 03:26 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (watergarden @ 6.Dec.2018, 11:16 AM) *
F*ck ska du ha! smile.gif

Fyfan! ohmy.gif
+
intrepidfox
post 6.Dec.2018, 07:41 PM
Post #12

Oh, and yours is I guess fine? Why? Because you desperately integrated yourself in this hypocrite society where nobody has an actual opinion and the answer to everything is &q ... (show full quote)

Then don´t stay. Move back to your own country if you are not happy. It´s so simple
+
TheExpatEagle
post 6.Dec.2018, 09:07 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (watergarden @ 6.Dec.2018, 10:11 AM) *
It's "Tack ska du HA", not "HAR". After "ska" which is an auxiliary verb comes infinitive form "att ha".Learn the grammar and get t ... (show full quote)

So an extra 'r' got added. Having lived here for 18 years and having a better understanding of the language and culture than you seem to have I'd you need to learn grammar.

Even if you put that phrase into Google it translates it as 'thank you'.

Do you look at other things and think Sweden is 'disgusting' thought you've edited that out now? Sjukhus is sick house? Grönsaker is green things. How bizarre, let us all laugh at how stupid Swedish is!

Oh, and they say fart for speed! *snigger* They are primitive!

Worst of all, they have no word for please. They are morons here, are they not?

Note: I'm being sarcastic.
+
TheExpatEagle
post 6.Dec.2018, 09:14 PM
Post #14

To be honest, if I were you I'd go out and come back in again. You seem to have made a bad first impression.
+
Bsmith
post 6.Dec.2018, 11:43 PM
Post #15

Oh, and yours is I guess fine? Why? Because you desperately integrated yourself in this hypocrite society where nobody has an actual opinion and the answer to everything is &q ... (show full quote)

Fuck sjalv! smile.gif
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: