The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Is there a need for an alternative...

expat discussion forum?

TheExpatEagle
post 5.Dec.2018, 10:14 PM
Post #1

A year or two ago there was some discussion on here about how The Local presents news, selects what stories to run and so on. There was also some discussion about how open the forum is to discuss topics.

With the above in mind I wonder if there is any requirement for another forum for expats in Sweden or is everyone happy with what's offered here?

Is the moderation working as people would like? Is there much censorship such as removing links to TV streaming sites and so on or has The Local left the forums to fester?

I have set up a discussion forum on a website but I am currently wondering what to aim it at. Be it expats, sport or one of my other interests. My site does not and will never run any form of advertising and it is run purely as a project.

Anyway, if there is enough people, even if it is a small group, I am happy to open my forum up to the expat community.

I'm happy to receive ideas and feedback.
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 5.Dec.2018, 11:01 PM
Post #2

You are not the first to offer an alternative to TheLocal...true TheLocal has seen better days, but so far nobody has come up with something that challenges it...

This place has always been the go to place for those having difficulty with adjusting to life in Sweden and has regretfully become a place of pro and con about Sweden and it's peoples way of life...

How to immigrate and navigate through the minefields of government paperwork dominate this forum now...You might want to address that/those issues on your site...
+
Bsmith
post 5.Dec.2018, 11:47 PM
Post #3

There used to be a lot of very clever and humorous posters here on TL... I wonder where they have all gone.
+
TheExpatEagle
post 6.Dec.2018, 12:12 AM
Post #4

The forum is still very much a work in progress at the current time but if you want to register, feel free to do so.

http://www.theexpateagle.com/forum

I'd be happy to hear any feedback because if this runs it will be for us by one of us not a company looking to manipulate us or earn money from us.

In the future I will have a shop area, selling a selection of cheap(er) English goods and my blog, which I might open for other people to tell their stories too.

If in the future enough people were interested then I could run news on it too but that will be a way off.

Edit: I forgot to say. It is open to view but you must register to post. There will be private areas where you need to be logged in to view, this is for streaming services and other grey area topics.
+
wallace1837
post 6.Dec.2018, 02:05 AM
Post #5

Good idea, we can leave all those deniers and all of those who never lived in Sweden, or immigrated before color TV influence the discussion.

Where should we start?
Immigration
Housing
Education
Child brides
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Dec.2018, 04:13 AM
Post #6

What a bout a discussion on those that post and say negative things about Sweden...just like small children using curse words to get their mothers attention!!!
+
wallace1837
post 6.Dec.2018, 04:31 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 6.Dec.2018, 04:13 AM) *
What a bout a discussion on those that post and say negative things about Sweden...just like small children using curse words to get their mothers attention!!!

As long as Sweden and Swedes do stupid things, people will point them out! Brochure on child bride anyone?
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Dec.2018, 04:46 AM
Post #8

Please tell us about Swedish child brides...
+
wallace1837
post 6.Dec.2018, 05:09 AM
Post #9

Once again, looking at the facts:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/939408...lth-and-Welfare

From the previous page: "According to current legislation however the general rule is that marriage which is legal according to the law of the country in which it was carried out should be recognised in Sweden."

So pedophiles are exploiting the Swedish nonsense regulation by going out of Sweden to marry child, come back to Sweden and have it recognised no problem. They use to get a brochure about that, but it is no longer available!

The law has not been updated yet. Way to go Sweden!

https://www.rt.com/news/422744-sweden-child...riage-brochure/
https://www.foxnews.com/world/swedish-agenc...-child-marriage
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Dec.2018, 06:59 AM
Post #10

It appears that Sweden is trying to be receptive and understanding of the lifestyle and religious aspects of people recently coming to Sweden...Those "child brides" are not Swedish and the practice is not a cultural native Swedish practice...
+
TheExpatEagle
post 6.Dec.2018, 09:33 AM
Post #11

The intention won't be to mindlessly slag off Sweden as it seems some like to do. Of course there are negatives here but it's a discussion forum not a slagging off forum.

I've lived here for 18 years and I know the negatives but also I can exercise my right to leave if it is so terrible.

I could implement an ip look up so anyone outside Scandinavia is prohibited from posting.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Dec.2018, 09:56 AM
Post #12

You would then lose a good portion of the posters here...

Tell me why you think it is important to do so...
+
wallace1837
post 6.Dec.2018, 02:55 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 6.Dec.2018, 10:56 AM) *
You would then lose a good portion of the posters here.... Tell me why you think it is important to do so...

Obviously to filter out people who never lived in Sweden. I guess you know who I am talking about.
+
Martian
post 6.Dec.2018, 03:12 PM
Post #14

This seems to have a good potential. However, a quick suggestion is to Change the header to "Swedish Expat Forums" or something in that line rather than putting just "The Expat Forum" or "Expat Forum". Remember, most people landed on Thelocal news/forum through google search.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Dec.2018, 03:40 PM
Post #15

Why doesn't the OP answer my question in post #12???
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: