The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Moving to sweden as a south korean

How difficult is it?

bobbe44
post 17.Jan.2019, 11:59 PM
Post #1

Hey - friend of mine is wishing to move here from south korea. He has good reasons, and is willing to learn the language and go through other efforts to increase his chances. As his friend, I'm just helping him by doing research to figure out the whole process.

That being said, the more I look the more it seems like moving here if you are a non EU citizen seems like luck of the draw (other than immigrating via a spouse I suppose). Is this true? Is he wasting his time or is it possible to carve out a life here as long as you are willing to put in the effort? And if so - what should he focus on primarily (apart from studying the language, of course) to increase his chances of success? Sorry if this gets asked a lot, I looked through the recent posts and didn't find anything that quite applied I felt like. Thanks for any kind of input smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
wallace1837
post 18.Jan.2019, 03:20 AM
Post #2

Sweden is not a place where immigrants strives. If your friend can be impress by indoor plumbing, he can be impress by how the society is organised. But if he is coming from a civilised country, he will be disappointed.

South Korea is was ahead of Sweden in so many indicator, that moving to Sweden will be a huge downgrade. https://www1.compareyourcountry.org/indicat...default/all/SWE
+
bobbe44
post 18.Jan.2019, 08:42 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 18.Jan.2019, 03:20 AM) *
Sweden is not a place where immigrants strives. If your friend can be impress by indoor plumbing, he can be impress by how the society is organised. But if he is coming from a ... (show full quote)

Hey! He is a native Korean.. so irregardless of how much better or worse it is to be a foreigner there compared to Sweden it does not apply to him. Not to mention that the stats there does show that Sweden is also ahead of Korea in a good number of ways too.

But that is besides the point - as I said, he has already made his decision to leave Korea. As difficult as it will be for him to do this, I think that trying to convince him that it will be a downgrade is not the way to go.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 18.Jan.2019, 09:42 AM
Post #4

What are “your friends” skills? Why Sweden?

They would need a work permit to live in Sweden other than a relationship with a Swede which would need proof of an actual history together.

But why Sweden? If it’s just about getting out of Korea I would suggest the US or Canada... I’m assuming they don’t want to move to another Asian country. The US and Canada, US at least, has a large Korean population that is well integrated into society. This could help with easing the transition but also help in networking to find a job... depends on skills and personality of course.

With no connections or job opportunities it will be near impossible for them to move to Sweden successfully. If they were to somehow get to live here but starting from scratch, it depends on the person of course but I would say 5-10 years of effort with minimal results. But that would be if you are allowed to be in Sweden for that long which from the information you presented is impossible
+
nativeswedishengineer
post 18.Jan.2019, 10:44 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 18.Jan.2019, 03:20 AM) *
Sweden is not a place where immigrants strives. If your friend can be impress by indoor plumbing, he can be impress by how the society is organised. But if he is coming from a ... (show full quote)

Funny you should mention South Korea. I always wondered why South Korea managed to go from rubble and desert in the 1950s to an economic superpower. Yet India despite what I am told about the superiority of indian society and indian higher education still hasn't managed proper sanitation or electrification.
+
Bsmith
post 18.Jan.2019, 01:08 PM
Post #6

The job situation in Sweden is beyond difficult as is the housing situation in many major cities. Unless your friend has a skill that is in demand, I would recommend another country.
+
bobbe44
post 18.Jan.2019, 01:12 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 18.Jan.2019, 09:42 AM) *
What are “your friends” skills? Why Sweden?They would need a work permit to live in Sweden other than a relationship with a Swede which would need proof of an actual histo ... (show full quote)

Thanks for the response. It was stupid of me to leave out, but he do have a girlfriend here (which is one of the big reasons with him moving here, of course). The reason I didn't mention it is because the girlfriend is right at the start of her bachelors, which means that I think it will be difficult for her to secure a spousal visa due to lack of support funds, right? Maybe the smart thing to do is for her to pick up a part time alongside her studies and then see if she can make enough money that way to qualify as a sponsor, but idk if that is a viable plan?

As for his skills - he has experience working at an airport and has a bachelors in tourism management (with a culinary minor). He also speaks fluent english with good accent and, as I believe I hinted at, is focusing a lot on learning swedish right now.

I should also add that he has funds and is planning to already come here and stay while trying to work on a working holiday visa. He's aware it is not permanent, but consider it an alright way to get a 'foot in' to swedish society and to further develop his swedish skills.
+
Bsmith
post 18.Jan.2019, 04:23 PM
Post #8

The girlfriend lives in Sweden? Many "love immigrants" come to Sweden each year.

His skill set is not at the top of the list but he may be able to find work as a chef...he would most likely be starting at the bottom. And as far as funds go, it is generally recommended to have 2 to 3 years worth of living expenses saved up as that is how long it usually takes to get settled in and find a good paying job. The stress of this and fitting into a new culture often takes its toll on relationships.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 18.Jan.2019, 05:48 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 18.Jan.2019, 04:23 PM) *
The girlfriend lives in Sweden? Many "love immigrants" come to Sweden each year.His skill set is not at the top of the list but he may be able to find work as a che ... (show full quote)

I agree with this.

There are, however, quite strict requirements for “love immigrants” which I think are now apartment size, and your Swedish partners income. There are probably more. I would recommend having your friend or yourself look up information on migrationsverket.se for the latest requirements for his most applicable situation. I think there also needs to be proof of cohabitation for 2 years.

Sorry to say but I don’t think it will work out for your friend. Sweden just really isn’t the kind of place where a situation like your friends will work out successfully and happily.
+
bobbe44
post 18.Jan.2019, 06:23 PM
Post #10

Thanks for the response you guys smile.gif I'm well aware that making these situations work out is difficult in sweden. I am swedish myself (but date other swedish people so I have roughly 0 experience with these kind of things) so I know at least that it is possible. I'll relay the information to my friend though, if he chooses to go through with this he should at least do so with open eyes.

@saywhatwhat I've been reading up about the so called 'sambovisa' and I don't think they mention anything about proof of cohabitation, although the rest of what you say is correct. I did however read something along those lines regarding applying for a permanent residency as a non EU/EES citizen - that if you can prove cohabitation with your partner for 2 years then you can lower the required time spent here from 5 to 3 years, or something like that. Correct me if I am wrong though! smile.gif

Again - thanks!
+
iamaho
post 19.Jan.2019, 02:21 PM
Post #11

Uppehållstillstånd för att flytta till en blivande make, maka eller sambo i Sverige
https://www.migrationsverket.se/Privatperso...-bli-sambo.html

Försörjningskrav
https://www.migrationsverket.se/Privatperso...-i-Sverige.html
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: