The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Looking for a primary school in Gothenburg

For a 7 years old new expat! Advice needed

mehmetk
post 3.Feb.2019, 06:17 PM
Post #1

Hi Everyone,

I am considering to move to Gothenburg with my family soon. I am planning to stay for a long time if everything goes well.

I have a 7 years old kid who will be going to 2nd grade primary school when he moves in to Gothenburg this summer. My kid is now in an IB school in our home country but education is in local language, he is learning English as a second language since very early years but can barely speak a few sentences. I believe once he forced to use English he will develop skills quickly but still he is not like a bilingual...

So we have 2nd grade kid ho don't speak Swedish and speaks very little English. What options do I have in Gothenburg?

1. **IB school : ISGR The International School of the Gothenburg Region**
A little expensive compared to free options. Have English education and familiar IB system. But if he goes to a foreign school i'm afraid that his adaptation to Sweden will be slow, learning Swedish will be slow, maybe friends will be short term because of expat family kids coming and going all the time?
2. **Some other English schools with uses Swedish curriculum.**
I really don't have details for them yet. Having a familiar language could be a plus. But still adaptation to Sweden and Swedish would be a minus. Don't know about prices also.
3. **Swedish schools.**
He can't dive directly on to a new system with a new language. Unless if there are come schools with adaptation classes maybe? I have seen a few things about this but the page was all Swedish and i couldn't find a list of schools and details about system.

OK after a long intro. I would love to hear your experiences with your kids? Which way did you choose? How are your kids adapted to schools & language?

Thanks your sharing!
Go to the top of the page
+
mehmetk
post 9.Feb.2019, 07:05 PM
Post #2

I guess there are not much people with children in this forum?
+
wallace1837
post 11.Feb.2019, 01:15 AM
Post #3

Most people who care about their children education will run away quickly from Sweden. The system is broken down and denial about that fact is spreading like wildfire.

In Sweden, they are not trying to achieve anything and become good. Instead they aim at uniformity and conformism. So, whatever school you go, your kids will be told to fit the mould and never to think for themselves.

That philosophy got them to an education system that is below OECD average (i.e. pretty bad). You can look for yourself https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for...dent_Assessment.

There is also an interesting blog about Swedish education https://improvingteaching.co.uk/tag/sweden/ .

So if you care about your kids education, Sweden should not be your home. Also, don't even think of homeschooling your kids if you want to see them again. https://adfinternational.org/commentary/in-...nap-your-child/
+
Gjeebes
post 11.Feb.2019, 05:06 AM
Post #4

Some other things to consider about education in Sweden:

1) Your kid will be distracted by the complete lack of discipline imposed on other children, who disrupt the entire classroom, without consequence.

2) The school system was revamped in the 90's, according to the "logic" that the best performing schools were too "knowledge" and "fact" based. This was "fixed", so now you need not worry that your kid will suffer the horror of learning "facts" and understanding "knowledge".

3) The master/apprentice relationship is outlawed because having someone who knows, "teach" those who don't know, is considered an abuse of power.

4) Your kid will be completely unprepared for adult life after being treated to the Swedish education and will be prepared for little more than living in your basement and being waited on, by you.

5) The main idea of Swedish education is to achieve the same result. This means things move along at the pace of the slowest child, so as to not have them feel bad, at the cost of NOT having all kids perform to their best level possible. You can make a quick kid slow down, but you cannot make a slow kid speed up. Equality equality equality, yes?

If you come to Sweden, one of the most backwards places you will ever come across, and your kid is more or less fully educated there (i.e. indoctrinated) with "the Swedish model", your kid will become a prisoner as they will have lost any chance of being able to function anywhere else.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 11.Feb.2019, 08:43 PM
Post #5

Ignore the above trying to deter you from Sweden. They will be vigilant to try and deter but probably didn’t read that you had written you are trying to get out of a much worse situation.... where are you coming from by the way? What they say isn’t completely untrue... only thing is, they act like it’s brainwashing when really, if your kid has any discipline and ambition, and parents that care about the education, then they will be fine.

I would honestly look to see when your kid will be able to get a personnummer... without it I don’t see how they would be able to sign up for school. Have you looked into that even?

I would say the international schools would be the best route because they will speak Swedish as well and there might even be a teacher or other families speaking your mother tongue. There are long waiting lists though so see what you can do ASAP.

Depending where you live, there might be extra help to learn Swedish through the public Swedish school system... maybe you’ll need a private tutor.

I bet your kid can speak more English than you think if put in a situation where it was necessary. And kids also absorb languages much better than adults so if they were placed in a Swedish school they will learn quickly.

As I posted in your original thread... your wife and kid will have the most difficulties adjusting so really make sure that your situation is shit where you are coming from, and that your wife agrees
That it is shit as well. If your wife is not fully on board then you won’t be able to provide the support and security your kid will need in this transition.

Best of luck!

+
wallace1837
post 12.Feb.2019, 03:30 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 11.Feb.2019, 09:43 PM) *
As I posted in your original thread... your wife and kid will have the most difficulties adjusting so really make sure that your situation is shit where you are coming from, and that your wife agrees

I can only agree, Sweden is better than living buried in shit. In Sweden you are buried only up to your nose, so you can enjoy the smell.

You have to learn to read between the line here. Sweden is marginally better than shit. Why waste time and energy to live in that condition. Aim at better.
+
Gjeebes
post 12.Feb.2019, 04:26 AM
Post #7

"so really make sure that your situation is shit where you are coming from"

Aww, it really cares. Cause the only way Sweden is going to be a step up, is if you're digging yourself out of shit.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 12.Feb.2019, 07:58 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 12.Feb.2019, 04:26 AM) *
"so really make sure that your situation is shit where you are coming from"Aww, it really cares. Cause the only way Sweden is going to be a step up, is if you'r ... (show full quote)

What country are you in now? What country is ideal in your mind?
+
Saywhatwhat
post 12.Feb.2019, 08:00 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 12.Feb.2019, 03:30 AM) *
I can only agree, Sweden is better than living buried in shit. In Sweden you are buried only up to your nose, so you can enjoy the smell. You have to learn to read between the ... (show full quote)

Still sounds like progress though. smile.gif
+
mehmetk
post 12.Feb.2019, 09:18 AM
Post #10

Guys, thank you for sparing your time to write comments on my post. I try to prepare myself for the worst, i try to take in to account all comments ecqually to be able to predict my future living experience. BUT really, I am not living in US or UK now. I don't have that kind of luxury to compare Sweden to best and best of the world.

I am a Turkish citizen, I don't live in a shit-hole, I have a car, house, private health insurance ... I go to holiday in Turkey to nice hotels a few times every year ect..

But on every statistics/research study/economical number/cultural level Turkey is way below Sweden. I don't compare to UK because i CAN'T go to UK, they are not accepting my visa sponsorship.. Or which ever country you are referring?

Can you please be a little more specific while giving those horrible comments about Sweden? Other that height of the shit compared to your height? I am around 1.85 so maybe i can be luck smile.gif
Are honestly that regret living in Sweden? Where in the world would you prefer to live? Do you have children or did you studied in Sweden?

Thanks again smile.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: