The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Planning a move to Sweden

Keeping a dog (fenced in)

LynneS
post 8.Feb.2019, 01:21 PM
Post #1

Hi Everyone,

I have seen several posts on keeping dogs when living in Sweden as well as about fences. But I haven't seen any that really combines the 2.

I own a Belgian Shepard Malinois which is a large athletique working dog. Now the question. Can I put around a part (or along the border) of the yard a wirefence that is at least 1,5 above ground for him to be able to freely run around / play in with me doing stuff inside the house? Beter would be a 2m wirefence but my current dog isn't that much of an escapist so 1,5m should sufice.

Thanks

LynneS

Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 8.Feb.2019, 05:02 PM
Post #2

What about looking up the building codes in the area???
+
LynneS
post 8.Feb.2019, 08:49 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 8.Feb.2019, 05:02 PM) *
What about looking up the building codes in the area???

Not sure where I'll end up at the moment as I am just getting the paperwork ready. Hoping there was a sort of general rule for them (besides being neighbourly) as the only references I could find where about wooden fences.

LynneS
+
wallace1837
post 9.Feb.2019, 01:54 AM
Post #4

Swedes hate fences and curtains. They think you put those on only if you have something to hide. I know how stupid this sounds, but you will either get use to that or run away. Don't worry about dogs.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 9.Feb.2019, 02:27 AM
Post #5

"I know how stupid this sounds"

Really???
+
bonviveur
post 9.Feb.2019, 08:05 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (LynneS @ 8.Feb.2019, 01:21 PM) *
Hi Everyone,I have seen several posts on keeping dogs when living in Sweden as well as about fences. But I haven't seen any that really combines the 2.I own a Belgian She ... (show full quote)

of course you can put a fence if you want, nobody will say a word, biggest advantage in swedish culture is they respect your privacy, just do not build fence on the public land
+
LynneS
post 9.Feb.2019, 09:17 AM
Post #7

@alexstephen: Way of topic as it doesn't mention dogs and / or fences. dry.gif So not helpful

@wallace1837: There was a reason I asked about a wirefence as it doesn't really blocks one's view. And a fence is a precaution against accidents happening with a 80 pound dog. Like For example chasing the neighbours cat al the way into the neighbours kitchen (do also own a cat but that doesn't stop him from chasing other cats and don't get me started on cars/trucks). Better save then sorry. I would hate it if I would have to keep him inside all day besides his walks as he loves to be outside. Just a kennel wouldn't cut it for his wellbeing (to small)

@bonviveur: Based on what? huh.gif

+
intrepidfox
post 9.Feb.2019, 12:06 PM
Post #8

Hi, first of all ignore Wallace. This person is just negative about everything in Sweden.

You could try this site. They might be able to give you advice

https://www.skk.se/en/
+
LynneS
post 9.Feb.2019, 12:27 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 9.Feb.2019, 12:06 PM) *
Hi, first of all ignore Wallace. This person is just negative about everything in Sweden.. You could try this site. They might be able to give you advice. https://www.skk.se/en/

Newbie on this site / forum so don't have clue who to ignore. Wondering what Wallace is doing here tough, besides trolling, if he's so negative about Sweden. >>of topic<< Maybe he's just frustrated that Scotland is a part of the UK?

Thanks for the info on SKK. Sadly I found them already and send them an email with the same topic as this thread. Still waiting on a reply tough and if it is in anyway helpful, I'll post it here for other dogowners.

LynneS
+
bonviveur
post 9.Feb.2019, 02:08 PM
Post #10

based on my swedish neighbors in my town, many of them have dogs and fences around plot boundaries with dogs running freely inside also there are many houses without any fences, choice is yours
+
LynneS
post 9.Feb.2019, 02:22 PM
Post #11

@bonviveur: Ok that helps wink.gif
+
TheExpatEagle
post 9.Feb.2019, 08:24 PM
Post #12

It should be noted that a fence doesn't stop people from being able to access your property because Sweden doesn't have the same rules about private property that we do in the UK.

This might not be applicable to you but, for example, someone can go an camp on anyone else's land for a night as long as it is (I think) 50m from their property.

People also access your land for other reasons. Some houses near to me have a public path (not a right of way) on their land which wasn't obvious until it was pointed out to me.

It's just best to ask as the local council office.
+
LynneS
post 9.Feb.2019, 10:12 PM
Post #13

@TheExpatEagle: Well, that isn't the goal. Goal is from keeping the dog out of trouble.

Besides the fact that ' allemansrätten' isn't vallid for yards / private gardens (where the dogfence would be) according to what I could look up. Although I can't find clearer definition as to what constitutes a yard / private garden. Especially if there's a path or road on your land, a river crossing it, ... unsure.gif

But I don't think people will enter an enclosure with a bull in it or , like in my case, an 80 pound guard dog.
+
cootje1976
post 10.Feb.2019, 09:50 AM
Post #14

We have a Bernese for a couple of years (dutch, and it is very simple; if you want or need to put up a fence for the dog just do it. Especially since it is a simple wired fence.
Discussions here tend to go out of bounds real quick on this forum, but as long as it is on your property it is fine.

Sometimes things are made more complicated by reading the comments, but with the above you should be fine.

@expateagle: It was about the dog, and not about some property access wishwash, just a simple question about a dog and potentially, on how to keep it in the yard; not about access of other people etc.

It was more to keep the dog in, not out.
+
LynneS
post 10.Feb.2019, 12:02 PM
Post #15

@cootje1976: Bedankt happy.gif

He isn't a bad dog but a lot of his reactions depends on the reaction to him ( Never, never, never run from a dog for example.). And he is bred for being, and partially trained as, a guard / working dog. So having a safe space for him is pretty important.

LynneS
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: