The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Join fäcket or not?

How helpful?

HiSweden
post 15.Feb.2019, 03:02 AM
Post #1

Hi

I am working and been a member of the a kassa for more than a year now. I am thinking to join fäcket as i always hear its good but not sure how helpful they can be as my employer folllws kollektivavtal

The only thing that made me think to join it is my employer wont be able to fire me easily and i heard in case they want to end my contract fäcket can manage to let my employer pay me for 6 or 8 months salary as a deal to end my contract.

I work for staffing company and the fäcket is if metall. Would be nice to hear.from u if it worth it or not to join.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page
+
wallace1837
post 15.Feb.2019, 03:08 AM
Post #2

It is useful to protect Swedish workers. You are not Swedish, they will collect your money and sit tight if your position becomes redundant, or there is no more work for you.
+
HiSweden
post 15.Feb.2019, 01:58 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 15.Feb.2019, 03:08 AM) *
It is useful to protect Swedish workers. You are not Swedish, they will collect your money and sit tight if your position becomes redundant, or there is no more work for you.

Actually handels fäcket helped a guy and managed to let him stay although he is hired on hours and not swede smile.gif
+
yet another brit
post 15.Feb.2019, 02:50 PM
Post #4

Kollektivavtal or not, a union won't help you unless you're a member. If you think you might need their help, then join.
+
HiSweden
post 15.Feb.2019, 10:57 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (yet another brit @ 15.Feb.2019, 02:50 PM) *
Kollektivavtal or not, a union won't help you unless you're a member. If you think you might need their help, then join.

What if my employer tried to fire me without a valid reason, who can I speak or report to if am not into fäcket but my employer did something illegal?
+
yet another brit
post 16.Feb.2019, 05:31 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (HiSweden @ 15.Feb.2019, 10:57 PM) *
What if my employer tried to fire me without a valid reason, who can I speak or report to if am not into fäcket but my employer did something illegal?

A lawyer.

For some industries there are the various whistleblowing routes (some of which you are *required* to take if you suspect wrongdoing, for example in patient care).

If you mean something about your own employment, you can likely get some informal advice off the union rep, but they won't take any action on your behalf unless you are a member.
+
john.boy
post 17.Feb.2019, 04:54 PM
Post #7

The main difference is employment law.
If you are a member of a trade union then before you can be removed they have to first notify your trade union, and not you, and whilst that process runs you are still employed and your notice period has not started. Without being a member you can only start to challenge the process in the employment court once you have actually lost your job.

note that the union is mainly interested in the collective, i.e. all workers, and not just you. They rarely negotiate specifically for an individual, it is more common that any deal struck is between you personally and the company, in the hope of avoiding having to negotiate with the trade union.

Is it worth it, Yes! I say that not because I am a believer in trade unions, but rather, purely because the employment law is structured (by the left) in that favor. If the employment law itself did not discriminate between union and non-union members such, then I would say forget it.

Note: Any collective agreement the union has with the employer is valid for both union members and non-members alike, otherwise it is discrimination! (funny the rest of employment law isn't the same, but hey, that's the left's way of protecting trade unions ;-) )
+
HiSweden
post 18.Feb.2019, 02:52 AM
Post #8

What will happen when they inform the union that they want to end my contract? Will they really make sure that my employer is following all rules ot they might just be fine with it and be helpless?

So you are saying if my employer wanted to end my contract they can just tell me one month in advance (my notice period). What if I didnt sign and said that I believe I have the right to stay? Can I negotiate myself to get paid for lets say 6 months or so to end the contract? Because if they pay me for one month only then its not enough until i find another job.

+
HiSweden
post 18.Feb.2019, 02:54 AM
Post #9

Also i heard about a law först in sist ut and they have to fire all ppl hired after me in order to be able to fire me?

I also heard if they fire me then for some period they cannot hire new person unless they ask me to be back?

Some people say it is so hard to get rid of ppl with permanent contract if they are in the fäcket. Not sure how easy is that for bemanning
+
wallace1837
post 18.Feb.2019, 03:21 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (HiSweden @ 18.Feb.2019, 03:54 AM) *
Also i heard about a law först in sist ut and they have to fire all ppl hired after me in order to be able to fire me?I also heard if they fire me then for some period they c ... (show full quote)

That is not true, they can target individuals, even if someone is hired after. They just need to say that the work you do is no longer necessary.

That is how they get rid of foreigners in most Swedish companies.
+
yet another brit
post 18.Feb.2019, 10:53 AM
Post #11

It's how you get rid of Swedes in Swedish companies too.
+
john.boy
post 18.Feb.2019, 07:31 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 18.Feb.2019, 03:21 AM) *
That is not true, they can target individuals, even if someone is hired after. They just need to say that the work you do is no longer necessary.

@wally, clearly you do not understand employment law in sweden.
QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 18.Feb.2019, 03:21 AM) *

Hang on! What foreigners? unsure.gif There shouldn't be any since employers are so racist, who would give them jobs? ohmy.gif
QUOTE (HiSweden @ 18.Feb.2019, 02:54 AM) *
Also i heard about a law först in sist ut and they have to fire all ppl hired after me in order to be able to fire me?I also heard if they fire me then for some period they c ... (show full quote)

Remember, Swedish employment protection law is mainly about positions/roles in a company not the actual employee. When the company tells you there is a lack of work and is making you redundant, it is actually your role that is being made redundant. Last in first out can be applied if you can show that there are other roles (they may even have more than 1 position remaining with a similar role as the one you had) that you are either qualified for, or could reasonably learn (within a few weeks), that is currently occupied by someone who was employed after you were. However, this is where not being in a union is a disadvantage, the union can ask for the employee list and check for possible last in first out positions for members, where-as you as a non-member cannot. You must lose your job and take the employer to court before you can get that list.

The right to re-employment does indeed exist, if they employer claimed lack-of-work, as the reason for redundancy. The period extends for 9 months after you lose your job, and only applies if you have worked for a total of 12 months during the previous 3 years. What it means is that if the company opens a new position, before they give it to a new employee, they must check to see if you are capable of doing that role and if you could then they must offer it to you. It isn't as fancy as it sounds, one day you could be working as CFO, and the next being offered a position cleaning the mens toilets.

The 2 main things employers try to buy you out from, normally trying to avoid union contact, is the last-in first out potential domino effect and/or the right to re-employment. You can sign both away (for the right price).
+
GamlaSkogHisingHope
post 19.Feb.2019, 08:57 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 15.Feb.2019, 03:08 AM) *

This is my experience too.
+
HiSweden
post 20.Feb.2019, 01:36 AM
Post #14

I just want to know in case my empoloyer tried to end my contract without a valid reason, how many months I can negotiate to get payment?

It is bemanning company
+
HiSweden
post 1.Mar.2019, 02:32 AM
Post #15

We were speaking about it at work and it seems like if u work for staffing/bemanning it doesnt worth it.

They will never help and cant negotiate a deal so you get few months payment in order to leave your job.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: