The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

How do you afford to live?

Everything is so expensive

Swegeddon
post 13.Apr.2019, 07:43 PM
Post #1

Swedes are taxed so much.
And food prices are so high.
Over £10 for a pasta salad.
In the Uk, I can get a meal deal lunch for £3, which includes pasta, crisps or fruit and drink.
That is like 30 sek.
It is impossible to get anything like this for 30 sek in Sweden, which is the cost of a bottle of juice at local 7/11.

So I don’t understand how people afford to eat, especially big families. I mean, can you even afford to eat out at restaurants? How is it possible even on a decent salary? Transport costs are also high. Hotels are also very expensive. Alcohol is also rediculous.

Everything is so expensive compared to the Uk. The only thing in Sweden that is cheaper is the price of housing, which is usually better quality than the Uk.

But most people I’m sweden rent. I don’t understand how people can afford to live a normal life after paying rent, buying food for the family, paying for family expenses, clothing and being taxed so much.

All of this cost is he price of a better quality of life in Sweden. But this better quality money cannot buy. It is more intangible stuff like nature, landscape etc.

I don’t understand,
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 13.Apr.2019, 08:38 PM
Post #2

Maybe it's only cheaper in the UK because staff are paid dire wages, the companies pay little or no tax and you eat food with more dubious origins.

Lunch deals here are pretty good. Main meal, side salad, coffee and bread under 100kr? Many folk have their biggest meal with colleagues at lunch time. And kids get a meal at school etc..

Unlike the UK life doesn't have to revolve around alcohol?
+
Fiki
post 13.Apr.2019, 08:59 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 13.Apr.2019, 08:38 PM) *
Maybe it's only cheaper in the UK because staff are paid dire wages, the companies pay little or no tax and you eat food with more dubious origins. Lunch deals here are pr ... (show full quote)

There is some truth to your reply. But the statistics tell a different story.

Average salary in Sweden is £28,820.87 after tax.

Average salary in UK is £29,009 after tax.

Based on these figures, British people earn more than Swedish people, yet pay less for food and living costs overall, like driving a car etc. So, in this view, British people are better off than Swedish people.

OP's original argument was that food prices in Sweden are so high compared to the UK. So if we assume British and Swedish people earn about the same salary (after taxes), the Swedish person will pay more for food.
+
skogsbo
post 13.Apr.2019, 09:21 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Fiki @ 13.Apr.2019, 07:59 PM) *
There is some truth to your reply. But the statistics tell a different story.. Average salary in Sweden is £28,820.87 after tax.. Average salary in UK is £29,009 after tax.

After tax?

As a brit living in sweden, I'd say you are 100% wrong.
+
bonviveur
post 14.Apr.2019, 06:01 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 13.Apr.2019, 09:21 PM) *
After tax?. As a brit living in sweden, I'd say you are 100% wrong.

tax free earnings in sweden around 10000sek
in uk around 100000
+
skogsbo
post 14.Apr.2019, 07:29 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (bonviveur @ 14.Apr.2019, 05:01 AM) *
tax free earnings in sweden around 10000sek. in uk around 100000

UK zero rate threshold is being pushed up to over £12k(120000ish), then it's 20% tax right upto £50k. Sweden zero rate upto 18800 krona.

It's tough to directly compare. As you have NI, A kassa etc.. which don't directly correlate. Either way fiki is wrong and trolling as usual.
+
TheExpatEagle
post 14.Apr.2019, 06:35 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Swegeddon @ 13.Apr.2019, 07:43 PM) *
Swedes are taxed so much.And food prices are so high.Over £10 for a pasta salad. In the Uk, I can get a meal deal lunch for £3, which includes pasta, crisps or fruit and dri ... (show full quote)

I don't even know where to begin as so much of what you've written is wrong.

Who in their right mind would buy anything at a 7/11? It costs 25 sek for a 500ml bottle of Coke there whereas at an ICA it costs 13 sek. Try shopping in a normal place for decent prices. It's like someone using a shop at Waterloo Station as an example of how much something costs.

I can get a very good pasta salad for 30 sek or go to a salad shop where I choose what they put in a big container for 55 sek with a bagel included.

I could list many things that are cheaper than the UK (I'm born and raised in London) such as broadband, mobile phone contract, etc.

Transport is much, much, much cheaper than the UK, especially London!!! Tax? Lower here because my income tax of 32% contains income tax, NI and council tax in that figure. What is that in the UK? Income tax is 20%? NI is 11%? and council tax isn't based on income so already it is more than I pay in Sweden.

I accept that MOMS (VAT) is more here yet the products are strangely still cheaper than the UK for things that matter like hard drives, TVs and so on.

How typical that a Brit complains about alcohol being expensive... yet it is cheaper than going out to a pub in London so...

For the record I live in 12,000 sek a month including 6,500 sek rent. I eat out 5 times a week at lunch and I have 10,000 a month to save or use for doing things.

You just need to adjust how you waste you money.
+
Bsmith
post 14.Apr.2019, 08:51 PM
Post #8

When we moved to Sweden, we quickly learned how to shop around and find the bargains. Buying house hold goods at a loppis, buying meat directly from the farmer, finding what stores were cheaper or buying on the internet, saving gas by riding our bikes more often, etc.

Every place that I have ever lived has been the same in that regard. You have to shop around and spend your money wisely.
+
GamlaSkogHisingHope
post 15.Apr.2019, 03:35 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (TheExpatEagle @ 14.Apr.2019, 06:35 PM) *
I don't even know where to begin as so much of what you've written is wrong.Who in their right mind would buy anything at a 7/11? It costs 25 sek for a 500ml bottle of ... (show full quote)

A lot of families are able to live on what is basically low quality slop with good quality meat or fish being a rarity. Nothing wrong with this, you need to be adaptable and adjust your expectations.

On a general level, I found the cost of living to be much higher in Sweden than the UK.

+
GamlaSkogHisingHope
post 15.Apr.2019, 03:58 PM
Post #10

UK personal allowance is now £12.5k.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: