The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Running a car in Sweden

Requirements etc

at_the_gates
post 20.Apr.2019, 01:38 PM
Post #1

Hi guys

Still undecided whether to bother with a car in Sweden yet, but are the basic requirements the same as everywhere else? Once you have a car you need to pay tax yearly based on emissions, car insurance of some type (looks like in the UK you can choose between 3rd party only, fully comprehensive etc) and you need to keep the car road worthy with an MOT equivalent (bilbesiktning). The difference i can tell is the bilbesiktning is not necessarily required every 12 months.

Any other ongoing legally required costs apart from that?

Also what are car insurance costs like in Sweden, based in Gothenburg? Is car insurance in Sweden generally expensive? In London the costs are astronomical where i am (East London). I'm paying the equivalent of 8000 SEK for a 14 year old Ford Focus worth 500 quid. That's with 15 years of no claims and no license points ever. Also will Swedish insurers recognise my no claims bonus years from the UK? I can get a cover letter from them to prove the amount.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page
+
intrepidfox
post 20.Apr.2019, 02:56 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (at_the_gates @ 20.Apr.2019, 12:38 PM) *
Hi guysStill undecided whether to bother with a car in Sweden yet, but are the basic requirements the same as everywhere else? Once you have a car you need to pay tax yearly b ... (show full quote)

Sorry, can´t help you but concerning your name At the gates. If you mean the band, i knew Thomas the singer very well, used to work together
+
yet another brit
post 21.Apr.2019, 11:15 AM
Post #3

Car insurance is more linked to the car rather than the driver as compared to the UK; generally once the car is insured anyone can drive it. Different companies evaluate pooled risk differently, so it really does pay to shop around (50% difference in quotes not impossible).

Postcode and availability of a garage will reduce the premium. You can get third party ("trafikförsäkring", mandatory), third party fire & theft ("halvförsäkring") or fully comp ("helförsäkring"), plus various add-on for animal collision (recommended if you live in the sticks), windscreen excess waiver etc. Often you'll find that you'll get an additional discount if you have more than one insurance product from the same company, also check if your union or employer offers a discount at specific companies. The concept of a personal no-claims discount exists ("bonus") but doesn't affect that much. Which car and where you live are more important.

When buying a car, ensure you have both parts of the registration document; as soon as the transfer is signed and sent in (manually or electronically) then you are responsible for insurance. You can do this by phone as you buy. If you have a vehicle on-road but uninsured, the government will automatically third-party insure it for you - but send you a bill for 100 SEK/day...

Once you have a car, you can do the SORN equivalent to take it on/off road easily; so if you don't/can't drive over the winter you don't pay road tax.

You need to have winter tyres when necessary; if you don't and you have an accident it is more likely to be adjudicated your fault, and the excess will be at least doubled on any claims. You might also be prosecuted.

The corollary is, when you buy a car, it ought to come with a full working set of the other seasons tyres, on rims. If not, negotiate the price accordingly.
+
Svedallas
post 1.May.2019, 08:35 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 20.Apr.2019, 03:56 PM) *
Sorry, can´t help you but concerning your name At the gates. If you mean the band, i knew Thomas the singer very well, used to work together

Best response!
+
DuneSunny
post 2.May.2019, 08:00 PM
Post #5

As to the insurance - as said above you insure the car and not the driver. You can reduce your insurance though by guaranteeing that no young drivers (under 21) will drive the car. You can also buy well priced extra insurance to minimise the part you pay yourself in the case of an accident. SBM offer good rates on this. You will also find that your insurance could also cover car recovery in case of breakdown, so you might not need to pay extra to a break-down service (e.g. like the AA or RAC in the UK).
+
Saywhatwhat
post 2.May.2019, 10:22 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 20.Apr.2019, 03:56 PM) *

Melodic metal is the worst.
+
yet another brit
post 5.May.2019, 06:04 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 2.May.2019, 10:22 PM) *
Melodic metal is the worst.

Isn't that an oxymoron?
+
CoachZee
post 6.May.2019, 11:40 AM
Post #8

I keep a car in Sweden (Norberg area) & find insurance much higher than what I pay in UK. Each year I "ställa av" the car direct on TS website & then "ställa på" once our return date is fixed. Then they post out refunds on insurance & tax & it just lies in the postbox & expires. So then I ask for the funds to be credited to the next bill. Emails work well on both insurance & tax. Good luck!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: