The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Refused twice for a personnummer

How to resolve?

post 9.Jul.2019, 04:21 PM
Post #1
Joined: 9.Jul.2019


So hoping to get some advice as I'm getting to the point where I'm grasping at straws trying to work out why I can't seem to get a personnumber in Sweden.

    - British national male moving to Sweden with my Swedish National Wife.
    - We lived together for 4 years before moving back to Sweden together in September last year.
    - Got married in the UK 2 years ago, and have two kids together both born in Sweden (now 2 and 3)
    - Wife wanted to move back to Sweden to Study medicine in Gothenburg
    - I'm starting my own business in Sweden and have a contract with an incubator programme in Gothenburg, and have enough savings to last a fair while longer prior to getting investment / clients (and obviously already been sufficient for the past 9 months)

So the problems we seem to be having is that because when we lived together in the UK I was on stupid money and my wife was at home with the kids, so she didn't work or study when over there, this has translated into her not exercising her right of residence in the UK which has been why my application for a personnummer has been declined, and that's the only reason I've been given for the refusal.

I have a EHIC and a contract for the Swedish incubator for my company, (but haven't been able to incorporate a private limited company yet - as that's a whole other different problem).

I'm looking for guidance on what's the best sequence of steps from where I am now to making sure I have a personnummer before brexit (+1 year) and things could get more complicated for us.

The last application till the final descision has taken about 8 months, so it feels like we've only got one shot now at getting it right or it's going to overlap with the grace period ending.
Go to the top of the page
post 9.Jul.2019, 09:49 PM
Post #2
Joined: 20.Sep.2011

Have you applied for any form of residency?
Go to the top of the page
post 10.Jul.2019, 12:58 AM
Post #3
Location: Uppsala county
Joined: 3.May.2012

QUOTE (Finy @ 9.Jul.2019, 03:21 PM) *
Hi,So hoping to get some advice as I'm getting to the point where I'm grasping at straws trying to work out why I can't seem to get a personnumber in Sweden.- Brit ... (show full quote)

At the moment the Swedish agencies are basically just waiting the Brexit dance out, and moved a lot of UK Nationals under the pile when applying for a PN or residence. They are effectively doing that, we have a couple of UK Nationals who are facing the same problem, and who left out of frustration to another EU country where they were approved residence almost immediately.

Your chances will increase if you can get a hold of your case number, and pound on them every day by giving them a call. Outside of that I dunno...

Go to the top of the page
post 10.Jul.2019, 01:41 PM
Post #4
Location: Värmland
Joined: 12.Oct.2015

I would try to get a job just for personummer sake, they have no choice but issue at least samordningsnummer then, good luck you will need it dealing with swedish bureaucrats.
Go to the top of the page
post 14.Jul.2019, 10:10 PM
Post #5
Joined: 14.Feb.2019

Surely by just living in the UK your wife has proved her right of freedom of movement? Have you got any proof she lived in the UK; an NHS Number, a National Insurance Number etc? She must have had those? When she was in the UK she would have been in your situation now, i.e a family member of someone who worked in the UK and freedom of movement applies to that too. Did she ever vote in the UK for a local election? If so you can ask the Council for a Certificate of Inclusion which proves her existence on the electoral roll register and her address. Also she should have been on the council tax bill as a resident of your property?
Go to the top of the page

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: