The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Can I live alone?

At 17 years old

guppy
post 24.Oct.2019, 11:36 PM
Post #1

Hello!

Im currently finishing college in London, and this July my course will be done. I will be 17 and a half years old by then. I was wondering if it is possible I move to Sweden without my parents? I plan on doing university there, and if anything, could I move out alone? Or could I, even better, move in with my Swedish boyfriend (18 years old)? Is it illegal to live alone at 17 in Sweden? Thank you
Go to the top of the page
+
TheExpatEagle
post 25.Oct.2019, 06:41 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (guppy @ 25.Oct.2019, 12:36 AM) *
Hello!Im currently finishing college in London, and this July my course will be done. I will be 17 and a half years old by then. I was wondering if it is possible I move t ... (show full quote)

What do you mean by "this July"? Do you mean July 2020?

In answer to the main part of your question, no. It is not illegal to live alone in Sweden if you are 17. Like in the UK someone can live alone at 16 if you can find a place to live and afford to do so.

If you moved in together with your boyfriend you would not be alone so that would be the best option as it is the cheapest option.

Also, if you have a boyfriend who is 18 why did you not ask him?
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 30.Oct.2019, 02:26 PM
Post #3

Finding rentals is very difficult and if you find an apartment where to stay it will be short term contract of 6 months or less.

The second hand market as we call it for these kind of rentals are scarce despite the country has extremely low population compared to its size. and right now it's not rare to pay a lot of money for these contracts so living alone is difficult unless you have a very high paying job.

The biggest problem you have in sweden is rental market that it's catastrophic but nobody will tell you that so you move in and waste your money. And then the fact that unless you find a job in an international company then say good bye to any chance to find employment in sweden without speaking fluent swedish.

Being British helps in this country since people here will judge you based on who you are so if you are blond and blue eyed your chances will be even higher.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 30.Oct.2019, 04:53 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (guppy @ 24.Oct.2019, 11:36 PM) *
Hello!Im currently finishing college in London, and this July my course will be done. I will be 17 and a half years old by then. I was wondering if it is possible I move t ... (show full quote)

At your age how can you have a serious relationship with someone in a different country? Have you spent significant time with your boyfriend outside of online exchanges?

Chatting online is much different than living with someone. Just saying.
+
TheExpatEagle
post 30.Oct.2019, 07:32 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (pepitoAndalucia @ 30.Oct.2019, 03:26 PM) *
Finding rentals is very difficult and if you find an apartment where to stay it will be short term contract of 6 months or less.

Not true. You can find a 2nd hand contract for up to 12 months by law.

The second hand market as we call it for these kind of rentals are scarce despite the country has extremely low population compared to its size.

Again, not true. There are thousands on publicly available websites.

and right now it's not rare to pay a lot of money for these contracts so living alone is difficult unless you have a very high paying job.

Maybe but legally someone can not charge more for 2nd hand rent than it costs them. The 2nd hand renter can either report the landlord while renting or do it after the contract has concluded.

Of course, a contract can be more than the original rent if other things are included like furniture, broadband and so on.

The biggest problem you have in sweden is rental market that it's catastrophic but nobody will tell you that so you move in and waste your money. And then the fact that un ... (show full quote)

Yet again this is bullsh*t. Maybe you can't get a job because your attitude sucks?

Being British helps in this country since people here will judge you based on who you are so if you are blond and blue eyed your chances will be even higher.

And once again this is simply not true.
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 31.Oct.2019, 12:39 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (TheExpatEagle @ 30.Oct.2019, 08:32 PM) *
Not true. You can find a 2nd hand contract for up to 12 months by law.Again, not true. There are thousands on publicly available websites.Maybe but legally someone can not cha ... (show full quote)

Stop making things up.. In sweden second hand is at best 1 year. You keep playing the swedish media deception constantly trying to hide the true facts of living in sweden.

Most people who live in second hand move even three times a year in many cases because of the limitation of second hand rental. But I admit swedish media does a good job in hiding it from international view.

My attitude is always positive but the swedish mindset is arrogant and very racist.
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 31.Oct.2019, 12:42 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (guppy @ 25.Oct.2019, 12:36 AM) *

This is the average in sweden for people who live in second hand rentals.
Again be very careful because swedes and those in the hive will deceive you to think there is no problem. The rental market is a nightmare.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/efter-35...ne-fatt-ett-hem

After 35 different second homes, Caroline has got a home

Caroline Åhlberg is 28 years old and was born and raised in Stockholm, in the suburb of Märsta.

She has moved around in second-hand apartments or living rooms along all commuter train lines to get somewhere to live with her son. In total, she counts it to 35 different addresses in ten years.

- I've lived in Knivsta, Märsta, Haninge, Västerhaninge, Rågsved, Hammarbyhöjden. Yes, there are several places in Märsta.

What bothers her most are those who have first-hand contracts and charge an illegally high rent for the second-tenant. Many people live on their housing contracts, Caroline believes.

- Everyone wants money, everyone wants as much as possible. The last time I paid 10,000 a month in Upplands Väsby, for one of 27 square meters. Then I felt that this must be enough, others will come after me, now I report them to the Rent Board. But the energy was not there.

It struggles to have jobs in one place, preschool in one and jobs in a third. She has been thinking about changing the city, moving to Eskilstuna and Västerås instead, but did not want to leave her permanent position.

- It is a security, and the son's safety has been the preschool and friends there. We have often gone up half past four to go to daycare and work.
+
TheExpatEagle
post 31.Oct.2019, 07:27 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (pepitoAndalucia @ 31.Oct.2019, 01:39 AM) *
Stop making things up.. In sweden second hand is at best 1 year. You keep playing the swedish media deception constantly trying to hide the true facts of living in sweden.

If you can read then read what I wrote again! You wrote 6 months I wrote up to a year and you accuse me of lying. Go and see a shrink.

Most people who live in second hand move even three times a year in many cases because of the limitation of second hand rental. But I admit swedish media does a good job in hi ... (show full quote)

No, most people have to move every 12 months when their contract ends. I can post a list of websites with rentals.

On one, probably the most popular, there are 9,536 apartments listed. That is just one website. Stop lying to people, if you hate Sweden so much and think it is terrible here go somewhere else.

My attitude is always positive but the swedish mindset is arrogant and very racist.

You do a bloody good job of trying to hide it. Swedes are neither arrogant or racist. If you want to see arrogance and racism try going to Spain and see how other Spanish speakers are treated there. People such as those from Peru, Cuba, Columbia, etc.
+
john.boy
post 31.Oct.2019, 08:23 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (TheExpatEagle @ 30.Oct.2019, 07:32 PM) *
Not true. You can find a 2nd hand contract for up to 12 months by law.

There is no such law.

Whomever owns the property can hire it out for as long as they like.

In the case of bostadsrätt, it is the BRF shareholders (normally all the residents) whom have agreed the rules. If they wanted they could change the BRF rules to allow apartments to be rented out indefinitely.

The only law with regards time is where it allows for renting out 2nd-hand under very specific circumstances (e.g. You go to another area to study), allowing any restrictive BRF rule to be overridden. Note, financial gain (income) is not an accepted reason.

+
john.boy
post 31.Oct.2019, 08:25 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (guppy @ 24.Oct.2019, 11:36 PM) *
Is it illegal to live alone at 17 in Sweden? Thank you

You cannot sign any legally binding contracts in Sweden until you are 18. All decisions and signatures would have to come from your legal guardian(s).
+
TheExpatEagle
post 1.Nov.2019, 08:52 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (john.boy @ 31.Oct.2019, 09:23 PM) *
There is no such law.. Whomever owns the property can hire it out for as long as they like.

This is simply not true. I have been involved from both sides with Förvaltningsrätten and a friend is a lawyer for Hyresgästförandringen. But you believe what you like.

In the case of bostadsrätt, it is the BRF shareholders (normally all the residents) whom have agreed the rules. If they wanted they could change the BRF rules to allow apartm ... (show full quote)

Not true, the rules are set in a national law. This is a civil law not criminal law.

The only law with regards time is where it allows for renting out 2nd-hand under very specific circumstances (e.g. You go to another area to study), allowing any restrictive B ... (show full quote)

It doesn't matter if someone has a job, study, get married or whatever it is a maximum of one year and it won't get renewed unless the chairman of the BRF is bent.

All cases can be looked up online. Last year I helped a friend take a neighbour to court to force them to sell their apartment for breaking the law.
+
rebecca7707
post 7.Nov.2019, 06:25 PM
Post #12

The rental market in Sweden is NOT easy. You may want to consult with a Swedish rental pro before making a decision. Just my 2 cents!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: