The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Citizenship Concern Abroad

Born Abroad- 22 Years Old

chitownfranchik
post 7.Nov.2019, 11:07 PM
Post #1

Hello,
I am 22 years old (turning 23 in December) and was born in the United States. My mother was a Swedish citizen at the time I was born and from what I understand she got a passport for me when I was a baby. She never retracted her Swedish citizenship but is now a US-Swedish dual citizen. I don't speak Swedish (my mother never bothered to teach me) but maintain ties to family friends in Sweden. I have never been to Sweden due to financial reasons.
I found out literally today that I needed to reapply between being 18 and turning 22. Does anyone know of any alternative processes to apply to retain citizenship? I applied to jobs and schools stating that I am a Swedish citizen and for other personal reasons I really want to retain it.
Go to the top of the page
+
ChocOwl
post 8.Nov.2019, 09:34 AM
Post #2

QUOTE (chitownfranchik @ 7.Nov.2019, 11:07 PM) *
from what I understand she got a passport for me when I was a baby.

Do you mean a Swedish passport? In that case you are already a citizen.
+
iamaho
post 8.Nov.2019, 11:22 AM
Post #3

Sadly, you have already lost your citizenship. You needed to apply before you turned 22.

https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Pri...itizenship.html

You will lose your Swedish citizenship when you reach the age of 22, if you

were born outside of Sweden
have never lived here and
have not visited Sweden in circumstances which indicate an attachment to the country.
You will not lose your Swedish citizenship if this would cause you to become stateless.

To avoid losing your Swedish citizenship, you can apply to retain it. You must do this after you have turned 18 but before you reach the age of 22. You do not need to make such an application if, at any time, you have lived in Sweden or if you have regularly visited Sweden.
+
ChocOwl
post 8.Nov.2019, 11:22 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (iamaho @ 8.Nov.2019, 11:22 AM) *
Sadly, you have already lost your citizenship. You needed to apply before you turned 22.

Oh bummer
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: