BREAKING

‘No threat’ after police action at Malmö’s Emporia shopping mall

Police confirmed at around 3pm on Friday that there was "no threat" at Malmö's Emporia shopping mall following a search of the building and the evacuation of all shoppers and retail staff, Sweden's state broadcaster SVT has reported.

'No threat' after police action at Malmö's Emporia shopping mall

“We got a message that everyone had to evacuate immediately, so everyone started to run, including me,” a witness told SVT. 

Filip Annas, a spokesperson for the Malmö police, said that the operation had been launched after a member of the public reported seeing a person with a “weapon-like object” at the entrance of the mall. 

“We have found a person who matches the description but have not found a weapon,” he said. “We are continuing to search thoughout Emporia and will hopefully complete the operation shortly.” 

By 3pm, police stated that they had searched the entire shopping mall, had not found anything suspicious and no longer deemed there to be a threat.

On August 20th a 31-year-old man was shot dead in broad daylight in the shopping centre, while a woman who happened to be standing near to him suffered a bullet wound. 

SHOW COMMENTS