UK police charge man over Stockholm bomb
Published: 14 Mar 2011 14:07 GMT+01:00
Updated: 14 Mar 2011 14:07 GMT+01:00
"Strathclyde Police can confirm that a 30-year-old man has been charged with offences under the Terrorism Act 2000. This follows an operation in the Whiteinch area of Glasgow on Tuesday, March 8th, 2011," a spokesperson said.
The man, reported in several Scottish media sources to be a Kuwaiti national, was due to appear in court in Glasgow later Monday, a police source said.
British authorities had been investigating any links to the Swedish attack -- the country's first suicide bombing -- following the revelation that the bomber, Taimour Abdulwahab, had lived and studied near London.
Abdulwahab, a 29-year-old whose family fled from Iraq to Sweden in 1991, blew up himself and his car in a deserted side-street off of Stockholm's busiest pedestrian thoroughfare on December 11th, injuring two people and narrowly missed wreaking carnage among Christmas shoppers.
Before the attack, he had lived in Luton, north of London. He had graduated with a degree in sports therapy from the city's university seven years earlier.
An Islamist website, Shumukh al-Islam, posted a purported will by Abdulwahab which said he was fulfilling a threat by Al-Qaeda in Iraq to attack Sweden.
Shortly before the explosions, Säpo and the TT news agency received an email with audio files in which Abdulwahab is heard telling "all hidden mujahedeen in Europe, and especially in Sweden, it is now the time to fight back."