All you need to know to get a Swedish apartment
Published: 16 Sep 2011 12:05 GMT+02:00
Updated: 16 Sep 2011 12:05 GMT+02:00
Get a dictionary, get in line and know your rights. Finding an apartment in big Swedish cities will never be easy, but there are some things you can do to make your life easier:
- Get a dictionary. Learn what “bostad” and “uthyres” mean. Even if you don’t speak Swedish, learning a few words of “real estate ease” makes the process much easier.
- Word-of-mouth. Let everyone you know that you are looking for an apartment. Your hairdresser’s husband’s first cousin’s officemate can provide invaluable leads in the apartment hunt.
- Get in line. Looking ahead, it’s well worth signing up for the municipal housing queue, despite an annual fee of a few hundred kronor. In Stockholm, this is run by Stockholms Stads Bostadsförmedling AB. (There are organisations similar to Stockholms Stads Bostadsförmedling in most Swedish cities).
- Go to school. If you’re enrolled at one of the universities in Sweden, you’re eligible for student housing. Make sure you sign up for the student housing queue. You’re not likely to get something right off the bat, but there’s no cost to register. This is particularly the case in larger cities like Stockholm, Uppsala, Gothenburg, Malmö, and Lund. In an effort to attract more students, several smaller university towns – including Eskilstuna, Gävle, Västerås, and Örebro – have implemented accommodation guarantees (bostadsgarantier) that promise housing to all students opting to study there.
- Get it in writing. Even if it’s a second-hand rental, make sure you have a contract. Also get receipts for any payments. If there are any disputes later on, the burden of proof rests on you.
- Bostadsbidrag. If you have kids or you’re between the ages of 18 and 29, you might be eligible for a housing allowance, depending on your income and whether or not you’re covered by the Swedish social insurance system. Contact your local “Forsäkringskassan” for more information, or check out their website (Swedish only).
- Know your rights. Second-hand tenants can go to the rent tribunal (hyresnämnden) and get the size of the second hand rent tried if the original lease holder is charging significantly more than the actual rent. A small percentage is allowed for furniture, but it shouldn’t exceed 10% of the total rent. If you think you’re being taken advantage of, talk to a lawyer.
Somali nationals taking part in a demonstration against deportations in Stockholm. File photo:Björn Larsson Ask/SvD/ TT
Three young men in southern Sweden suspected of attacking Somali refugees with stones and screaming "sieg heil" have been indicted on charges of racial agitation.
Sweden is set to buck the European trend of rising air prices with fares expected to drop next year according to a new report.
Eric Westerberg's homemade submarine Isabelle. Photo: PS.nu
A Swedish submarine enthusiast who spent over 3,500 hours making his own vessel has sold his prized possession for 705,000 kronor ($98,500) in an online auction.
Police in northern Sweden have been reported to the Equality Ombudsman for describing a wanted suspect as having a "Roma appearance."
A political career for Zlatan? Some fans seem to want to see that. Photo: Peter Dejong/TT
The Bilderberg Group, the Satanic Initiative and Adolf Hitler all received votes in Sweden’s general election, according to a list released by the country’s electoral authority.
The Swedish team in action. Photo: TT
Sweden's capital has missed out on a chance to host any Euro 2020 games, with Copenhagen the only Scandinavian city among the thirteen winning locations.
Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of Uppsala, is the first woman to head the Swedish church. Photo: Stig-Åke Jönsson/TT
A Swedish priest has been fired after telling his congregation that people who support female priests would be rejected by God - despite the fact that his own church is led by a woman.
Margot Wallström (right) could become Stefan Löfven's new Minister of Foreign Affairs. Photo: TT
Sweden could soon get a female Foreign Minister, Fredrik Reinfeldt's ousted Moderate Party is preparing for its first woman leader and the grandmother of actor Hugh Grant's son is being tipped as Parliament's next Speaker.
A Gripen plane was scrambled to see off the Russian planes. Photo: Johan Nilsson/TT
UPDATED: Sweden has summoned the Russian Ambassador for a dressing down after two Russian planes violated Swedish airspace last week.
UPDATED: Social Democrat leader Stefan Löfven says he is positive that his party can co-operate with the former governing Alliance on some issues.