Man, 36, admits double stabbing at Swedish Ikea
TT/The Local · 13 Aug 2015, 17:27
Published: 13 Aug 2015 07:04 GMT+02:00
Updated: 13 Aug 2015 17:27 GMT+02:00
- Ikea suspect 'conscious' and set to be quizzed (12 Aug 15)
- Ikea staff back at work after deadly stabbings (12 Aug 15)
- Ikea stabbing victims remembered at mall (11 Aug 15)
Västmanland Hospital where the 36-year-old has been since Monday. Photo: Maja Suslin/TT
IN PICTURES: Ikea victims remembered at Swedish mall
Monday's attack saw a mother and her adult son stabbed to death at a store in the central town of Västerås, with police arresting the two suspects, who are both Eritrean asylum seekers, soon afterwards.
Police confirmed on Thursday that the victims came from a village just outside Skellefteå in northern Sweden and were visiting Västerås.
The Ikea store, about 100 kilometres west of Stockholm, opened for business again on Wednesday morning, less than 48 hours after the two victims were fatally stabbed on Monday lunchtime.
A police spokesman walking through the reopened Ikea store. Photo: Maja Suslin/TT
Swedish media reports said on Wednesday that the 36-year-old suspect had been handed a deportation order which would have returned him to Italy.
The day before the attack he had met with immigration officials in Västerås to discuss his case, the reports said.
Sweden hosts a community of some 18,000 Eritrean nationals but that number is expected to rise significantly in the coming years.
Last year, some 11,500 Eritreans requested asylum in Sweden, and in the first seven months of 2015, another 4,200 have made an application making them the second largest group seeking refugee status after Syrians.