'No bomb' on board diverted SAS plane
TT/The Local · 22 Jan 2016, 15:39
Published: 22 Jan 2016 10:30 GMT+01:00
Updated: 22 Jan 2016 15:39 GMT+01:00
- Children safe after bomb threat at international school (19 Jan 16)
- Swedish airport shut down after bomb scare (10 Jan 16)
- 'Solar storm' grounds Swedish air traffic (04 Nov 15)
The SAS aircraft, which was carrying 72 passengers and five crew, was on its way from London to Stockholm but was forced to make an emergency landing at west Sweden's largest airport following a bomb scare on board flight SK1530.
The plane landed at just before 10am with emergency services called to the scene within 30 minutes.
All air traffic to and from the airport was initially stopped because of the bomb scare, but departures and arrivals had resumed by lunchtime.
However by 3pm police said that officers had thoroughly searched the plane and that no explosives had been found.
Passenger Tom Onslow-Cole took this photo of the plane. Photo: Private
According to Scandinavian Airlines (SAS), flight SK1530 landed without problems and the captain held a debriefing session for passengers together with police and the rest of the crew.
"It's so that they will get as much information as possible and have their questions answered so that they can feel safe," said SAS spokesperson Cathrine Sandegren, just ahead of the meeting.
Police spent several hours searching the flight for potential explosives and said that some passengers had been questioned.
"An investigation has been launched to possibly identify a suspect," Ulla Brehm, a spokesperson for the regional Västra Götaland police force told the TT news agency on Fridat afternoon.
British racing driver Tom Onslow-Cole was one of the travellers on the flight. He tweeted: "We are all safe and off the plane, big shout out to the pilot and crew for keeping their cool!"
Took off for Stockholm, just landed in Gothenburg... This could get interesting. Anyone know what's happening? pic.twitter.com/7IcrwPFd5t— Tom Onslow-Cole (@tomonslowcole) January 22, 2016
However as he and fellow passengers were kept waiting while their luggage was examined by police, he then posted that he had been given a 100 kronor ($12) meal voucher by SAS, with a rather direct one-word reason for the compensation printed on it - "bomb".
Meanwhile Swedavia said it was working hard to look after other passengers whose flights were delayed as a result of the airport's temporary closure.
"It is clear that there are a number of affected flights and there will be delays in air traffic for some time now during the day, before we catch up again," spokesperson Ulf Wallin at Swedavia told TT just before 2pm.
Landvetter is Sweden's second-biggest airport, registering around six million passengers in 2015.