Crews responded to reports of the smell of gas throughout the store. Gas meters also detected gas in the building.
According to information from emergency crews, gas odours were first detected Sunday morning near a basement café in one of the department store’s two buildings. The fire department was called at half past one in the afternoon.
Buildings in the immediate vicinity, including Hötorgshallen, were also evacuated due to the strong fumes. Traffic was blocked on Kungsgatan near Hötorget and fire officials are currently inspecting the building.
As of three o’clock in the afternoon it remained unclear where the leak originated.
According to emergency crews, gas level measurements indicated there was an “explosive mixture” in the building.