Child feared dead in house fire

Police feared that a two-year-old boy has died in a fire raging at a house north of Sunne in Värmland. A teenager has been rushed to hospital with burns.

A two-year-old boy has been reported missing and police fear that his remains will be found in the ashes of the house in Edsbjörke in Värmland in western Sweden which was engulfed in flames on Thursday morning.

The death can not be confirmed until the body of the small child is found, but police are fearing the worst.

A 16-year-old suffering burns was taken by ambulance to Karlstad Central Hospital on Thursday morning. The teenagers injuries are not reported to be life-threatening.

A further two people were reported to have been in the house but managed to get out safely.

“It is about as chaotic as can be. The house is just a shell and we are waiting for it to collapse,” said Pär Maltesson at Torsby fire department.

The 16-year-old boy had been able to climb out of the house and into a neighbouring property from where the fire could be reported. When fire fighters arrived, the house was engulfed in flames.

The boy had been on the top floor of the house when the fire broke out, his mother and her 2-year-old grandson were one floor down.

Up to ten fire fighters are involved in extinguishing the last of the fire at the house which is 50-years-old, with a timber frame and plaster facade.

“The fire is difficult to put out and we have not been able to enter and search the house yet,” Pär Maltesson said.


Stockholm firefighters tackle bus depot blaze

Emergency services in Stockholm were continuing on Tuesday morning to tackle a fire that started in a bus depot almost 24 hours earlier.

Stockholm firefighters tackle bus depot blaze
File photo of a fire engine in Stockholm: Pontus Lundahl / TT

The fire, which began at around 10.30am on Monday, is likely to cause problems with traffic diversions and irregular public transport throughout Tuesday, according to SL, the company which runs the capital city's public transport.

“It's still burning and we don't know yet how long we will need to be there. Probably the whole day,” said Hans Eriksson from the Stockholm fire service. “Now we are concentrating on protecting the other surrounding buildings.”

The fire began in connection with work on the roof of the building, which contains a large bus depot and the connected offices.

Eriksson said: “It's an old building with a roof built in a complicated way and construction work, so we haven't wanted to sent people up to the roof and fight the fire from within. That's another reason it's taken longer.”

No buses are reported damaged as most of the fleet were on Stockholm's roads at the time of the fire.

Police have opened an investigation into carelessness endangering of the public.