Police hunt would-be child strangler
TT/Peter Vinthagen Simpson · 22 Jul 2009, 10:43
Published: 22 Jul 2009 10:43 GMT+02:00
- 81-year-old axe murderer sentenced to prison (18 Jul 09)
- Abusive dad 'beat us for 20 years': mother (14 Jul 09)
- Nazi poison used in ex-lover's murder bid (10 Jul 09)
The attacked occurred on Sunday July 12th in the Skogshöjden residential area of Trollhättan some time between 7.30pm and 9pm, according to media reports.
The eight-year-old girl, who had been playing with friends, was missing for an hour in nearby woods and police suspect that an unidentified man tried to strangle her.
"Her mother found her shocked with injuries to her face," Stig Rysén with the Trollhättan police told the Expressen newspaper.
The young girl is also reported to have been missing some of her clothing when she was found. The items of clothing were later found in the woods.
The eight-year-old told police that after becoming separated from her friends she was approached by the man who attacked and attempted to strangle her.
"According to doctors she was near death. We're convinced that something very serious has happened," said country police officer Thord Haraldsson.
According to the girl's mother this is not the first time children have been approached in the area.
"Several months ago a man approached my 10-year-old son, asked him his name and offered him sweets. My son's 11-year-old cousin was also chased by a man," Carla Gergi told Expressen
Trollhättan police confirmed that they are aware of the two separate incidents which occurred in April and May.
The neighbourhood is now living in fear of any further incidents while police conduct their investigations into the most recent attack, which has been classified as attempted murder.
"It is very unpleasant. I never let my 8-year-old go alone in the woods," said local resident Camilla Johansson to the newspaper.