SHARE
COPY LINK

BOMB

Gangster faces Turkish trial for bomb attacks

A warrant has been issued for the arrest of the leader of the Original Gangsters criminal gang on suspicion of being behind an attempt to blow up two men.

Denho “Dano” Acar fled to Turkey, where he is a citizen, in 2006. The country, which has no extradition treaty with the European Union, has confirmed that it is prepared to host a trial, according to the Dagens Nyheter newspaper.

The two bomb attacks, on Södermalm in central Stockholm and in Stavsnäs on Värmdö, were executed by young members of the Original Gangsters (OG) crime syndicate, according to the prosecutor.

The pair are now in custody, but the prosecutor does not believe that they planned the attacks on their own.

“It struck me clearly that they were acting on instruction from elsewhere,” chief prosecutor Tora Holst said.

Holst announced on Thursday that a warrant had been issued for the arrest of Acar on suspicion of attempted murder and aggravated devastation endangering the public.

The first bomb, exploded on Södermalm in May was, according to the newspaper, intended for a former restaurant owner from whom OG had agreed to retrieve a debt.

The second, in Stavsnäs in June, was directed at a computer specialist who was to be punished for hacking websites connected to the gang.

No one was hurt in either of the attacks.

Denho “Dano” Acar has not set foot in Sweden since the autumn of 2006 when he left the country instead of responding to an arrest warrant issued in connection with an arson attack in Gothenburg.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

BOMB

Denmark suspects two Swedes over explosion at tax authority

Two Swedish citizens are suspected in connection with last week’s explosion at the Danish Tax Agency. One of the two is in police custody.

Denmark suspects two Swedes over explosion at tax authority
Copenhagen Police superintendent Jørgen Bergen Skov addresses the press. Photo: Philip Davali / Ritzau Scanpix

Copenhagen Police superintendent Jørgen Bergen Skov confirmed the arrests to press on Wednesday morning.

“Both individuals are suspected of carrying out the detonation at the Tax Agency,” Skov said.

One man, aged 22, was arrested in Swedish city Malmö on Tuesday and will be extradited to Denmark. Once he reaches Copenhagen he will appear for preliminary court proceedings, which the prosecution will request take place behind closed doors.

Swedish newspaper Kvällsposten reports the 22-year-old has no previous criminal convictions in the country.

The second man, a 23-year-old, is yet to be detained but an international arrest warrant for him has been issued, Skov said.

“During the night, we also searched several addresses in Sweden. We hereby confiscated what we believe to be a car used by the suspects,” he said.

“We have one suspect on the loose, which means we must be careful about what we say, out of consideration for the investigation,” he added.

The superintendent did not add any detail about how police were able to connect the two individuals to the August 6th explosion.

Skov also stressed that police do not believe the tax authority blast to be connected to a similar incident at a police station in Copenhagen’s Nørrebro neighbourhood in the early hours of Saturday.

“There is nothing to suggest (a connection),” he said.

READ ALSO:

SHOW COMMENTS