Man drowns in central Stockholm sluice

A man in his forties is thought to have died after having been sucked into the lock at Slussen in central Stockholm on Tuesday morning.

According to the emergency services the man fell into the water by the sluice, one of the main water junctions from Lake Mälaren and the Baltic sea. The man is now missing, with fears that he was sucked through the floodgates and subsequently drowned.

Witnesses report the man voluntarily walked out onto the water to balance on some floating logs when he fell in the still bracing waters of the lake.

The man was heard calling for help as he was sucked through a drainage hole adjoining the lock and disappeared out into the Baltic.

Several rescue services boats searched the area for over an hour on Tuesday but to no avail and personnel have concluded that the man has probably drowned.

“There is no hope of finding anyone alive,” said Lars Lindberg at the Stockholm fire services to news agency TT.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Grounded Finland ferry refloated and heading back to port

UPDATE: A ferry that ran aground next to islands between Finland and Sweden with nearly 430 crew and passengers on board, was refloated and heading for port, its owners said Sunday.

Grounded Finland ferry refloated and heading back to port
The Viking Line ship Grace hit rocks in in the Aland archipelago. Photo AFP

The Viking Line's “Grace” hit rocks on Saturday afternoon while sailing between the Finnish port of Turku and the Swedish capital Stockholm, shortly before a stopover in Mariehamn, in the Aland archipelago, Finland's coast guard said.

The passengers had to spend the night on board, though there was no immediate danger as it was not taking on water. No one was hurt in the incident.

A tug boat helped refloat the ferry in the small hours of Sunday morning, the coast guard said on Twitter.

After disembarking around 260 passengers at Mariehamn, it went on to its home port of Turku in Finland, a Viking Line spokeswoman told AFP Sunday. It would undergo repairs in the coming days, she added.

Although the cause of the accident has yet to be established, the coast guard said there were strong winds in the area at the time.

The company cancelled its Saturday ferry service, which was to have been taken by a smaller vessel, because of a storm warning.

In September, another Viking Line ferry, the Amorella, ran aground on the same Aaland Island and the passengers had to be evacuated.