Swedish chef in 'freak' saucepan accident
TT/Rebecca Martin · 11 Nov 2011, 11:03
Published: 11 Nov 2011 11:03 GMT+01:00
- 'Lazy' pigeons flock to ride Stockholm metro (10 Nov 11)
- Burning magpie causes major Swedish blackout (07 Nov 11)
- Swedish lunch lady in pole dance protest (28 Oct 11)
The chef from Timrå, in northern Sweden severed one of his upper arm muscles when he got caught on a saucepan during an internship placement provided through the National Employment Agency (Arbetsförmedlingen), according to local paper Dagbladet.
When attempting to put a large saucepan in the fridge during the lunch time rush, the intern chef slipped and let go of the pan with his right hand.
But at the same time, his left hand got stuck in the handle, and as he fell crashing to the floor, the weight of the pan caused a muscle in his upper arm to tear so badly it was severed.
Despite an operation, a lengthy rest period and regular physical therapy, the doctors came to the conclusion that the chef will suffer from a physical disability for the rest of his life.
The would-be chef therefore filed a claim against the state for disability and permanent injury, as it was a state agency that had provided him with the placement in the first place.
Sweden's Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency (Kammarkollegiet) has approved the unlucky chef's claim, and he will be paid 19,000 kronor ($2,800) in recompense for the trouble his injury will cause him in his future career.