‘Rausing lay dead for three weeks’: report

Police suspect that Eva Rausing, wife of Tetra Pak heir Hans Kristian Rausing, lay dead in her London flat for three weeks before her body was found, according to recent media reports.

'Rausing lay dead for three weeks': report

British newspaper The Sunday Times has spoken with Eva Rausing’s younger sister Be, who began to panic when she hadn’t heard from her sister in some time, and travelled to London in an attempt to contact her.

“I banged on her bedroom door for a week. Now I think she was lying in there. Dead.”

The last contact Eva Rausing had with her family was reportedly a text message send on 3 May. When the family was unable to reach her, her sister decided to fly to London in early June.

“The housekeeper let me in and I went upstairs to her bedroom and I was knocking on the door and texting her and calling out to her and there was no reply,” Be said to the British paper Mail on Sunday.

After a week of fruitless attempts at contact, Be finally flew back to America.

“My father wrote to Hans saying Eva was missing and that she had said if that ever happened, he must contact the police.”

Hans Kristian Rausing, Eva Rausing’s husband and heir to the Tetra Pak fortune, has been arrested on suspicion of her murder, but according to reports in the Aftonbladet daily newspaper is still hospitalized, and police have so far been unable to interrogate him.

The Sunday Times reported that Hans Kristian is being treated with methadone, a synthetic drug used to treat heroin addicts.

Friends and family of the couple, who met in an addiction clinic, have been trying to get them off drugs for years, but to no avail.

“Eva’s parents tried, the Rausings tried, friends tried. It seemed like anyone who ever knew them staged some sort of intervention but nothing helped. The reality is they were both very, very serious addicts and addiction is a progressive disease,” said a family friend to the Mail on Sunday.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Tetra Pak billionaire Hans Rausing dead at 93

Swedish businessman Hans Rausing, credited with turning food packaging company Tetra Pak into a global giant, has died in England aged 93, his family said.

Tetra Pak billionaire Hans Rausing dead at 93
Hans Rausing inherited Tetra Pak from his father Ruben Rausing. Photo: Peter Lyden
“Hans Rausing had exceptional drive, and right to the end a commitment to entrepreneurship in Sweden and around the world,” they wrote in a statement. He died on Friday.
His father, Ruben Rausing, co-founded a company in southern Sweden that was an early innovator in food packaging, seeking to move away from bulk sales of foods such as flour and sugar to consumers.
Ruben Rausing developed the first cardboard container in the shape of a tetrahedron — a shape made of four triangular sides, also known as a triangular pyramid. It is the shape that gave the company its name.
The new packaging was most notably used to sell milk, replacing glass bottles in a pre-plastic revolution for beverage packaging.
Born in 1926, Hans Rausing was appointed managing director of Tetra Pak International in 1954, and with his brother Gad led the company for four decades. 
He retired as president in 1993, having grown the company from seven employees to 36,000 and giving it a global presence.
Under the brothers' leadership, Tetra Pak continued to develop new packaging, creating sterile materials and new shapes, and designed machines for the ultra-high-temperature (UHT) pasteurisation of milk.
In 1991, Tetra Pak acquired Alfa Laval, a leading supplier of equipment for the agricultural industry, and the group became known as Tetra Laval. 
Rausing, who left Sweden for the United Kingdom in the 1980s for tax reasons, is estimated to have amassed a fortune of some $12 billion (11 billion euros), according to Forbes magazine.
Tragedy struck the family in 2012, when the businessman's daughter-in-law Eva died from a drug overdose aged 48. 
Her rotting corpse was found more than two months after her death under a pile of bedding in a room in the London home she shared with Rausing's son, Hans Kristian.  
He pleaded guilty to preventing the lawful and decent burial of his wife, and received a 10-month sentence, suspended for two years.
He said he could not deal with her death. The couple had met at a drug addiction clinic.