Police detain four over cow-killing blaze

Police have detained four people in connection with a fire that killed 70 cows in the barn of an agricultural high school about 50 kilometres south of Stockholm.

Police detain four over cow-killing blaze

The blaze took place in late March at the Naturbruksgymnasium high school in Ytterjärna, where a giant barn burnt to the ground taking the lives of the cattle. No person was injured in the incident.

The suspects are aged between 20 and 50. Local police believe there is a connection between the fire and several other fires in the area.

“The way it looks now, there are about four to five fires, but we think that there are more in Sörmland and Södertälje. I don’t want to go into details about which fires they are. But we think the number will grow,” Anders Göransson of the local police told Sveriges Radio (SR).

Police refused to go into details about the motives of the suspected arsonists.

“It’s clear that we have come to conclusions on this front, but I don’t want to go into it now. The investigation is confidential.”

The agricultural high school where the barn was burned is owned by the Nibble Foundation (Nibblestiftelsen), which focuses on biodynamic milk production.

Ytterjärna and its environs are home to many agricultural and educational establishments inspired by the anthroposophic movement.

TT/The Local/og

Follow The Local on Twitter

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Stockholm firefighters tackle bus depot blaze

Emergency services in Stockholm were continuing on Tuesday morning to tackle a fire that started in a bus depot almost 24 hours earlier.

Stockholm firefighters tackle bus depot blaze
File photo of a fire engine in Stockholm: Pontus Lundahl / TT

The fire, which began at around 10.30am on Monday, is likely to cause problems with traffic diversions and irregular public transport throughout Tuesday, according to SL, the company which runs the capital city's public transport.

“It's still burning and we don't know yet how long we will need to be there. Probably the whole day,” said Hans Eriksson from the Stockholm fire service. “Now we are concentrating on protecting the other surrounding buildings.”

The fire began in connection with work on the roof of the building, which contains a large bus depot and the connected offices.

Eriksson said: “It's an old building with a roof built in a complicated way and construction work, so we haven't wanted to sent people up to the roof and fight the fire from within. That's another reason it's taken longer.”

No buses are reported damaged as most of the fleet were on Stockholm's roads at the time of the fire.

Police have opened an investigation into carelessness endangering of the public.