Mangs was sentenced to life in prison in 2012 for two murders and five attempted murders. In April this year he was convicted of another three attempted murders by the Malmö appeals court (hovrätten). The Supreme Court denied his lawyers a chance to appeal.
On Monday, Mangs confessed to the Sydsvenskan newspaper that he was responsible for one of the murders during an interview at Kumla, one of Sweden’s most secure prisons.
“It was me and only me who shot,” he told the paper. “Yes, that’s how it went down.”
The murder he confessed to was that of a 20-year-old Swedish woman who was in a car with a man of immigrant origin in Malmö’s Rosengård area. He claimed to have fired 11 shots at the man in the car, unintentionally killing the man’s female companion.
Mangs told the paper that the man did not look “like a criminal”, rather that the circumstances pointed to him being a lawbreaker, and that this was enough for the serial killer to feel the need to strike.
“It was a hunt! When the right opportunity presented itself, one that filled all the right criteria, then the idea was to do it,” he said.
Mangs was also charged with killing two men of immigrant origin, aged 23 and 66, in 2003, as well as the 20-year-old Swedish woman in 2009.
He was also charged with a slew of attempted murders in which he fired numerous shots with his Glock 19 pistol at homes, businesses and cars as well as out in the open, seriously injuring a number of people and coming close to killing many others.
Prosecutor Solveig Wollstad said on Monday that the confession may have been helpful for the families of the victim, but that more information would have to come forth if a new investigation were to be launched.
“For it to be taken up again, new circumstances must be brought up that were previously unknown. There needs to be more than his confession of what he has done,” she said.