Bosnian court asked to hold 'terror plot' Swede
TT/The Local · 16 Mar 2015, 16:50
Published: 16 Mar 2015 16:50 GMT+01:00
- Swede accused of 'terror' a high-level criminal (14 Mar 15)
Bosnian prosecutors want the four men locked up for a month during a criminal investigation.
“The court now has 24 hours to announce its decision,” said Boris Grubesic, press spokesman at the national prosecution office in Bosnia-Herzegovina, told Swedish news wire TT on Monday.
The Swedish citizen, reported to be in his fifties, was arrested in Bosnia-Herzegovina on March 13th alongside three Bosnians after being found with an explosive device hidden inside a car.
Three suspects were nabbed at the border while the fourth was arrested in Sarajevo.
Bosnian police said in a statement that the device was to be used for “a terrorist act” in a Scandinavian country.
But Swedish police denied the claims over the weekend, saying the men had not been planning a terrorist attack, rather had been involved in high-level organized violent crime.
Police in Malmö believe that the men had been planning to use the explosives in gang wars in the southern Swedish city.
“We will not go into more detail on this case, but we have an ongoing prosecutor-led case investigation in Malmö and we can link what has happened in this arrest to an ongoing case in Malmö,” Nils Norling, police press officer in Sweden's southern region told news wire TT on Saturday.
Later this week prosecutors will decide whether to ask for the Swede's extradition or not.
“But it could also turn out to be a case where the criminal investigation and the judicial process are best carried out in Bosnia,” head prosecutor in Malmö, Ola Sjöstrand, told TT on Monday.