SHARE
COPY LINK

EXPLOSION

Sweden releases suspects connected with Danish Tax Agency blast

Two Swedish citizens arrested on Wednesday in connection with an explosion at Denmark’s Tax Agency have now been released from police custody.

Sweden releases suspects connected with Danish Tax Agency blast
The Danish Tax Agency on August 7th, after an explosion at its entrance the previous day. Photo: Philip Davali/Ritzau Scanpix

Their release was first reported by newspaper Sydsvenskan, which received confirmation from court prosecutor Kristina Lindhoff Carleson.

“There was no longer cause to hold them. I will not be commenting further,” Carleson said.

The two men, aged 22 and 27, were arrested on Wednesday in connection with the explosion at Denmark’s Skattestyrelsen (Tax Agency) in Copenhagen’s Nordhavn area on August 6th.

It is unknown whether they remain suspects in the case.

A 22-year-old who was also arrested in Sweden is to be handed over to Denmark, a judge in Malmö ruled on Friday last week. An international arrest warrant has been issued for a further suspect, a 23-year-old man.

The explosion at the Tax Agency occurred at the authority's offices in the Nordhavn area of Copenhagen around 10pm on August 6th. Explosives were placed 60 centimetres from the entrance to the building.

A large blast damaged the façade of the building. One person sustained minor injuries.

The Tax Agency blast was followed less than a week later by an explosion at a local police station at Hermodsgade in the Nørrebro neighbourhood, where a bomb exploded close to the entrance in the early hours of August 10th. No injuries occurred.

Copenhagen Police have said that the two incidents are not connected.

The culprit or culprits behind the second blast remain at large.

READ ALSO: Danish police 'very confident' of catching Tax Agency bombers

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

EXPLOSION

Gothenburg apartment blast suspect found dead

Prosecutors have said that the man suspected as being behind a detonation in Gothenburg last week has been found dead on Wednesday after an apparent suicide.

Police by a Gothenburg pier
Police close to where the suspect's body was found in the water. Photo: Adam Ihse/TT

Named as Mark Lorentzon by Swedish media, the man was suspected of being behind the pre-dawn blast last Tuesday that injured 16 people at the building where he lived.

City workers pulled a body out of a central Gothenburg waterway early Wednesday that “was identified as that of the man sought by police and prosecutors… after the explosion in a building,” prosecutors said in a statement.

They added that suicide was the most plausible cause of death. The man was the subject of an international arrest warrant issued earlier this week.

The suspect, who had been due to be evicted from the building on the day of the explosion, had vanished without a trace.

The blast, which sparked a major fire, landed 16 people in hospital including four with serious injuries, and residents of 140 apartments were evacuated.

SHOW COMMENTS