Stockholm bomb victim estimate 'well below 30'
TT/The Local/vt · 13 Feb 2011, 09:36
Published: 13 Feb 2011 09:36 GMT+01:00
- No sign Stockholm bomber had help: Säpo (10 Feb 11)
- Government staff knew of bomb threat: report (19 Jan 11)
- Stockholm bomber trained in Iraq: official (07 Jan 11)
The Swedish Defence Research Agency (Totalförsvarets forskningsinstitut, FOI) will conduct a nuclear test on the bombs found after the terrorist attack in Stockholm in December, newspaper Svenska Dagbladet (SvD) reported on Sunday.
"It would have been far below 30 victims," said Henric Östmark, director of research at FOI.
Authorities found additional bombs that were not detonated after Taimour Abdulwahab killed himself when he set off an explosive device in Stockholm near a busy pedestrian street during the Christmas shopping season.
"We will test the charges to see what effect they had. We have not yet decided on whether we should do it on the parts that remain or if we should make copies," Östmark told SvD on Sunday.
The agency continues to maintain the early assessment that Abdulwahab's bombs were amateurish. In comparison, the terrorist attack at Domodedovo Airport in Moscow last month used a professionally made bomb and killed 36 people.
Östmark estimated that the death toll would have been much less if Abdulwahab had set off the explosives in a crowd.
The Swedish Security Service (Säkerhetspolisen, Säpo) will continue with the investigation on Sunday. The agency confirmed the bomber's identity on Thursday, adding there is still no evidence that he had any accomplices.