Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland
Advertisement

Murder trial delayed after bomb threat

Share this article

17:02 CEST+02:00
The court case against the man suspected of shooting dead 51-year-old axe-attack victim Esa Rano was interrupted on Thursday by a bomb threat.

The Luleå District Court in northern Sweden was evacuated after the threat, which was called in via telephone shortly after 3pm.

The person who made the call told the receptionist that a bomb would go off at 4pm, according to the local Norbottens Kuriren newspaper.

Police immediately cordoned off the area, blocking off nearby roads and stopping local traffic, but were unable to find any traces of explosives in the area.

The court case against the 23-year-old suspected killer has been highly publicized in Swedish media, and will now be postponed until further notice.

Prosecutor Åke Hansson said that the 23-year-old is suspected of having shot Rano in the head near his house outside of Haparanda, in northern Sweden, in April this year.

Rano was found dead in his bed with a bullet in the back of his head, with police later making arrests when tipped off that the suspect was acting suspiciously while having jewellery valued.

According to Norrbottens Kuriren, Rano had been keeping jewellery and cash in the house amounting to several hundred thousands of kronor when he was killed.

Rano himself was already known to Swedish media after miraculously surviving a gruesome axe attack to the face and neck in 2008.

The attack was triggered by a village feud and left him permanently disfigured despite multiple surgeries.

The Local/og

twitter.com/thelocalsweden

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jobs
Click here to start your job search
Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular articles

Advertisement
Advertisement