Sweden's Alicia Vikander joins new Bourne movie
Emma Löfgren · 24 Jun 2015, 11:05
Published: 24 Jun 2015 11:05 GMT+02:00
- Filming starts for next grisly Nordic Noir treat (29 May 15)
- Crackdown on illegal streaming in Sweden (01 Apr 15)
- Record 'Oscar' win for Sweden's Ruben Östlund (27 Jan 15)
Hollywood-based news site Deadline first broke the story, reporting that a tight filming schedule had also forced the 26-year-old Swedish actress to drop out of director Justin Kurzel's 'Assassins Creed', starring her rumoured boyfriend Irish-German actor Michael Fassbender.
Vikander was busy travelling when The Local tried to reach her on Wednesday, but her agent Laura Munsterhjelm confirmed the news.
“It's true and it's great,” she said.
Following in the footsteps of Swedish Hollywood stars such as Noomi Rapace and Joel Kinnaman, the Gothenburg-born actress rose to international fame when she appeared in Anna Karenina with British star Keira Knightley three years ago.
Since then, she has laid claim to the title as one of Hollywood's new favourite sweethearts, with roles in blockbusters such as Academy Award-nominated Danish film 'A Royal Affair', opposite Benedict Cumberbatch as WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in 'The Fifth Estate', and more recently British sci-fi thriller 'Ex Machina', released earlier this year.
Evidently leading a hectic life, the Swede is set to appear in a grand total of nine movies being released in 2015, including director Guy Ritchie's upcoming action comedy 'The Man from U.N.C.L.E.' in August. Yes, by the way, you read that right. Nine movies.
“It's a lot, but it's fantastically fun as well,” Vikander told the Swedish edition of Elle Magazine earlier this year.
Matt Damon at the film festival in Cannes. Photo: AP Photo/Francois Mori
Currently locked in for release in July 2016, the fifth instalment of the Bourne saga will see US actor Matt Damon return to the title role as action hero Jason Bourne. Julia Stiles, who starred in the first three films, is also set to return to the cast.
Damon's Bourne trilogy was a huge worldwide success, grossing nearly $1 billion at the box office between 2002 and 2007. Rebooted in 2012 as 'The Bourne Legacy', the fourth instalment starring Jeremy Renner and Rachel Weisz was met with comparatively lukewarm response.
Paul Greengrass is also returning to direct the fifth sequel, writing the screenplay with Christopher Rouse.