Police release men held over bomb threat on refugee home
TT/The Local · 23 Sep 2016, 16:47
Published: 23 Sep 2016 08:03 GMT+02:00
Updated: 23 Sep 2016 16:47 GMT+02:00
Police were informed about the threat at the building on Thursday evening. Its 141 residents were evacuated, and two arrests were made on suspicion of what is known in Sweden as 'preparation to commit devastation endangering the public'.
The suspects were questioned during the night, and Sweden’s security police Säpo followed the developments.
A police bomb squad searched the building in the early hours of Friday morning. They found nothing dangerous and the cordon around the property was lifted, according to broadcaster SVT Norrbotten.
“Many of the residents were really unhappy yesterday evening but we said that they don’t need to be, and now everyone’s sleeping and everything is calm,” Joan Shekho, a security guard at the home told SVT.
The company that owns the home said that the residents were moved to an empty military barracks used as accommodation during the height of the refugee crisis last year.
Police said on Friday afternoon that the two men arrested, one in his thirties and the other in his forties, had been released from custody.
"We saw no reason to keep them. They can't be tied to a crime," police spokesperson Maria Jakobsson told public broadcaster SVT, but added that they were still being treated as potential suspects.
"I can say this much: we have nothing which says that these two have prepared or tried to prepare something. Nor do we have or are looking for any other suspects," she said.