Your Swedish tax return: 11 ways to get money back

Your Swedish tax return: 11 ways to get money back
Don't miss out on any tax deductions you may be due. Photo: Fredrik Sandberg/TT
There are a few weeks left to fill out your Swedish tax return, but you should make sure you don't miss out on any deductions you are eligible for. These are 11 of the most common.

The deadline for filing your tax return to Skatteverket (the Swedish tax agency) is May 3rd. But make sure you don’t miss out on claiming money back if you can. Some of these deductions may already be written down on the pre-filled out tax form, and some you may have paid for at the time of the purchase (for example deductions for maintenance work). Others you have to make sure you report yourself.

Read more about how to fill out your tax form in this guide for Members of The Local.

(article continues below)

See also on The Local:

Work computers and tablets

Have to buy a computer or tablet in order to carry out your employment? You can deduct the cost provided it can be backed up by a receipt, and that your employer didn’t offer to provide you the machine. If you use your own computer occasionally at home but have an employer-provided one to use at work, this deduction does not apply.

Photo: Janerik Henriksson/TT

Literature and texts

If you are required to purchase literature or texts in order to do your job, you can deduct the cost provided it can be proven with a receipt and also that you can prove why it is necessary in your work.

Photo: Lars Pehrson/SvD/TT

Forced relocation

If you are forced to move location due to your employment conditions (usually in order to avoid termination) then the costs of packaging, transportation and removal services for you and your family’s household goods can be deducted.

Work phonecalls

If you need to use your personal mobile phone for work-related calls as an employee, you can deduct the additional costs of those specific calls, but not the cost of your phone contract itself (so if the calls are included in your contract, this deduction isn’t available).

Photo: Janerik Henriksson/TT

Renting out property

Those who rent out property they own can take advantage of a 40,000 kronor per property annual deduction.

If you are renting out a bostadsrätt or hyresrätt you can also deduct the fees or rent that you pay yourself for the property during the time it is rented out. So for example if you’re renting out your bostadsrätt you can deduct the fees you pay to the housing cooperation for the property.

Photo: Jonas Ekströmer/TT


This one is slightly complicated. If you drive to and from work, a tax deduction is available provided the distance between your home and place of employment is at least five kilometres, and that taking your car would save you at least two hours compared with taking public transport.

If those criteria are fulfilled, 18.5 kronor per 10 kilometres of the journey can be deducted if you use your own car. For company cars it’s different. Company cars fueled by diesel are eligible for a 6.5 kronor per 10 kilometres is deduction, or 9.5 kronor per 10 kilometres if it uses a different kind of fuel.

As of tax year 2020 and 2021 any deductions can only be applied to the part of the cost that exceeds 11,000 kronor per year, regardless of whether it’s a company or personal car. 

File photo of a BMW. Photo: Magnus Hjalmarson Neidman/SvD/TT

Public transport

If you use public transport to get to and from work, you can deduct the amount of your annual expenses that exceeds 11,000 kronor per year, provided the distance between home and work was at least 2 kilometres.

Photo: Lars Pehrson/SvD/TT

Temporary employment in a different location

If you’re temporarily employed at a different location than the one you live in, you can make deductions for the increased cost of living provided you spend the night where the place of work is and that place is more than 50 kilometres from your permanent home.

The cost of the accommodation can be deducted, while meals and petty expenses for the first month at an allowance of 120 kronor per day is also deductible.

Photo: Tomas Oneborg/SvD/TT

Work clothing

If you require protective clothing or equipment and it is only used on the job, you can deduct the cost. Examples are helmets, protective goggles, hearing protection and steel-toed boots. Tools can also be deducted. If the employer paid for the equipment it isn’t deductible however, and most work uniforms/clothing to comply with a work dress code are not included.

Photo: Isabell Höjman/TT

Deductions for service work

If you’ve paid for services like repairs, cleaning or maintenance on your owned home then there are ROT & RUT tax deductions you can take advantage of. You need to have paid for these services electronically.

You can read more about these deductions in English here.

Photo: Martina Holmberg/TT

Daily allowances for working abroad

If you travel abroad from Sweden for work you could be entitled to a daily tax-free allowance, which varies between countries and is designed to account for your increased expenses. The daily amount for each country varies depending on whether it’s a full day or a half day.

Departure days that start at noon or later count as half days, while return days concluded at 7pm or earlier also count as half days. Find more information here.

Photo: Sara Haldert/TT

A list of all the available deductions for individuals can be found in Swedish on Skatteverket’s website here.

Article first written in April 2018 and updated in March 2021.

Member comments

Become a Member to leave a comment.Or login here.