Every year the massive Christmas goat in the Slottstorget square in Gävle, central Sweden, attracts a media storm with locals dreaming up new ways to protect the 13-metre-high creation.
Despite their efforts, including in some years spraying the goat in anti-flammable liquid, the goat usually goes up in flames long before Swedes have opened their Christmas presents.
(article continues below)
See also on The Local:
In 2016, the last time it was vandalised, it burned down on its opening day.
If it had survived this Christmas season, it would have been a historic year for the goat, which has never survived five consecutive years before.
But it was not to be. At 3.38am on Friday, Gävle police got a call that the giant straw buck was on fire.
Police said that a smaller nearby goat was first set ablaze. By 3.41am, both goats had burned to the ground.
According to witnesses, a “tall and athletically built man”, wearing dark clothes and a hood, was seen leaving the scene when the fire started.
Witnesses also reported spotting a man changing his clothes close to the scene, who when confronted said he “did not have a lighter”.
Police shortly thereafter found the man, who had soot all over his hands. The man, in his 40s, was later arrested. He denies the allegations.