Ikea recalls kids' lamps over strangulation fears
Published: 01 May 2014 11:44 GMT+02:00
Updated: 01 May 2014 11:44 GMT+02:00
- Ikea recalls kids' items over strangulation fears (20 Mar 14)
- Ikea issues lamp warning after toddler death (14 Dec 13)
In a statement on its American website the flatpack company urged parents to keep the lamps out of the reach of children. The range of lamps typically come with a cord, with most of them in the region of 2.5 metres in length.
"IKEA has received a report of an incident where a 16 month old child in a crib died after becoming entangled in the cord of a SMILA wall lamp," the company said in a statement on its US website.
The Swedish company added that another infant almost died after the child became entangled with the cord of a TASSA Natt wall lamp
"In both incidents, which occurred in Europe, the lamp’s cord was pulled into the crib by the infant," the company added in the statement.
Ikea has been selling the range of lamps since 1984 with prices starting from 79 kronor ($12). Concerned parents have been urged to contact Ikea to receive a free repair kit.
The company added a further warning in the statement that accessible cords, such as blinds, should always be kept out of the reach of young children.
In March, Ikea issued another product recall request for canopies used for a child's bed, also citing strangulation concerns. The canopies in question have been sold at all of Ikea's warehouses around the world since 1996.
In both cases of the product recalls Ikea has expressed its apologies caused by the inconvenience to its customers.