For members


The dates you need to know for Swedish tax declaration season

It's that time of year again, when you need to start thinking about tax returns. In Sweden much of the process can be done online, but when and how you submit your declaration impacts when you get any refund, so here are a few key deadlines to keep in mind.

The dates you need to know for Swedish tax declaration season
You can declare easily via Skatteverket's app. Photo: Becky Waterton/The Local

Anyone who earned above 20,135 kronor during 2021 needs to submit a declaration, as well as people who fall into a few other categories, including all property-owners.

You will most likely receive a tax declaration by post or in your digital mailbox if you need to declare, but if you are self-employed or have only worked briefly in Sweden, you may still need to declare your taxes. Check the Tax Agency’s website if you’re not sure.

Those who process their declaration digitally will get any tax rebate by April 9th, rather than having to wait until June 11th.

February 27th was the final date to create a so-called digital mailbox (digital brevlåda), which means you will receive your declaration digitally rather than as a paper form sent through the post.

Between March 2nd and 7th, those with digital mailboxes receive their declarations, while the physical versions are sent out between mid-March and April 15th.

From March 8th, those with a digital e-ID can log in to and see their declaration.

March 15th is the first date for declaring your taxes digitally. If you have a digital e-ID, you can log in to the Tax Agency’s website and fill out your declaration.

Even if you receive the paper declaration, you can still fill it in digitally to get the earlier rebate, and you can submit your paper declaration from April 17th.

March 30th is the deadline to submit your declaration online in order to receive a tax refund before Easter. If no changes needed to be made, people submitting by this date will receive any refund between April 5th and 8th.

The overall deadline for declaration submission is May 2nd. And between June 8th and 10th, everyone who met this deadline will receive any tax refund they are entitled to. 

“For those who are declaring for the first time, it is important to remember to get a Bank ID to be able to log in to the Swedish Tax Agency’s online services, and to register a bank account to be able to have the tax refund paid automatically,” advises Johan Schauman, a declaration expert from the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket).

He also recommended taking time to check all the information on the form, and not leaving the declaration to the last minute so that you have time to confirm any details with your bank or employer if needed.

Tax declarations can be submitted either using the paper form itself, using the Swedish Tax Agency’s app (which requires electronic identification in the form of BankID) or using their web service, which can be accessed through either BankID or the eight digit security code printed on the form itself.

But before you click “send”, it’s worth checking if you are eligible for any deductions, for example on maintenance work or cleaning for your own home, or materials or travel required for work.


tax — (en) skatt

to submit a tax declaration — att deklarera

tax refund — (en) skatteåterbäring

deduction — (ett) avdrag

bank account — (ett) bankkonto

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.
For members


CHECKLIST: Here’s what you need to do if you move away from Sweden

What authorities do you need to inform before you leave, are you liable to Swedish tax and how can you access your Swedish pension? Here's a checklist.

CHECKLIST: Here's what you need to do if you move away from Sweden

Tell the relevant authorities if you’re leaving for more than a year

If you’re planning on leaving Sweden for more than a year, you will have to let the authorities know. The main authorities in question are Skatteverket (the Tax Agency) and Försäkringskassan (the Social Insurance Agency).


You have to tell Försäkringskassan when you leave so they can assess whether or not you still qualify for Swedish social insurance. As a general rule, you aren’t eligible for Swedish social insurance if you move away from Sweden, but there are exceptions, such as maternity or paternity benefits if you’re moving to another EU country.

This also applies to any family members who move with you – any over-18’s should send in their own documentation to Försäkingskassan about their move abroad. If you’re moving abroad with anyone under 18, you can include them in your own report to Försäkringskassan.

If both legal guardians are moving abroad together, both need to include any children in their application. If one legal guardian is moving abroad and the other is staying in Sweden, you need the guardian staying in Sweden to co-sign your application. If you are the sole legal guardian of any under-18’s travelling with you, you don’t need any documentation from the other parent.

You can register a move abroad with Försäkringskassan on the Mina sidor service on their website, here (log in with BankID).


If you are moving abroad for a year or longer, you also need to tell the Tax Agency. This also applies if you were planning on moving abroad for less than a year but ended up staying for longer.

If you move to another Nordic country, you will also need to register your move with that country’s authorities if you will be there for six months or more. You’ll be deregistered from the Swedish population register the same day you become registered in another Nordic country’s register.

This doesn’t mean that you’ll lose your personnummer – you’ll still be able to use it if you ever move back to Sweden – but you will no longer be registered as resident in Sweden.

Similarly to Försäkringskassan, you will also need to report any children you are bringing with you, and both legal guardians must sign the form, whether or not both guardians are moving abroad or not.

In some cases, you may still be liable to pay tax in Sweden even if you live abroad – particularly if you are a Swedish citizen or have lived in Sweden for at least ten years. This could be due to owning or renting out property in Sweden, having family in Sweden, or owning a business in Sweden.

You can tell the tax agency of your plans to move abroad here.

Contact your a-kassa, if relevant

If you are member of a Swedish a-kassa (unemployment insurance), make sure you tell them that you’re leaving the country. As a general rule, you have unemployment insurance in the country you work in, so you will most likely have to cancel your a-kassa subscription.

If you are moving to another country with the a-kassa system, such as Denmark or Finland, it may pay to wait until you have joined a new a-kassa in that country before you cancel your membership in Sweden.

This is due to the fact, in some countries, you only qualify for benefits once you fulfil a membership and employment requirement. In Sweden and Denmark, you must have been a member for 12 months before you qualify. In Finland, the membership requirement is 26 weeks.

If you qualify for a-kassa in Sweden before you leave the country, you may be able to transfer your a-kassa membership period over to your new a-kassa abroad and qualify there straight away, but this usually only applies if your period of a-kassa membership is unbroken.

Check what applies in your new country before you cancel your membership in Sweden – your a-kassa should be able to help you with this.

Contact your union, if relevant

Similarly, if you are a member of a Swedish union or fackförbund, let them know you’re moving abroad.

If you’re moving to another Nordic country, they might be able to point you in the direction of the relevant union in that country, if you want to remain a member of a union in your new country.

If you’re moving to another EU country, you may be able to remain a member of your Swedish union as a foreign worker with the status utlandsvistelse.

If you chose to do this, you will usually pay a lower monthly fee than you do in Sweden, and they can still provide assistance with work related issues – although it may make more sense to join a local union in your field with more knowledge of the labout market.

If you don’t want to be a member of a union in your new country and don’t want to be a member of a Swedish union, you should contact your  union and ask them to cancel your membership.

Collect relevant documents regarding your Swedish pension

If you have worked in Sweden and paid tax for any length of time, you will have paid in to a Swedish pension. You retain this pension wherever you move, but you must apply for it yourself.

To do so, you will need to give details of when you lived and worked in Sweden, as well as providing copies of work contracts, if you have them. If you have these documents before you leave Sweden, make copies so that you can provide them when asked.

If you move to the EU/EES or Switzerland, you may also have the right to other, non-work based pensions, such as guarantee pension for low- or no-income earners, or the income pension complement (inkomstpensionstillägg).

Currently, you can receive your Swedish pension once you turn 62 – although there is a proposal in parliament due to raise pension age to 63 for those born after 1961 from 2023, so this may change.